What's new

Are progressive scan DVD players better than interlaced players better with skipping? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
(Excuse the typing error in title)

Someone told me tonight that if you are playing a DVD with scratches on it, a progressive scan DVD player is better to have than an interlaced (even with a non-HDTV) because when the skip occurs, the second laser of the progressive scan picks things right back up and doesn't make the skip as noticable. Is this true?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Second laser of the progressive scan? I've never heard of anything like this. A progressive player is no different than an interlaced player except that it has a deinterlacing chip that converts interlaced to progressive. I wouldn't put much stock in what you were told.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Progressive or not has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the drive mechanism. I mean, you *might* be able to draw some inferences as to the quality of the player perhaps, but there are no two lasers. I dunno where you got that info...

A progressive player reads 480i off the disc then line doubles it.

The line doubling has nothing to do with reading the disc. Some players may be better at dealing with scratched discs, but it's unrelated to whether it is a progressive-scan player.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks....I thought this guy was full of BS. I was at a work Christmas party and was talking to a a co-worker's husband who was a computer programmer. While he has more technical experience than I do, I do think I know a little something about home theater equipment and I never heard anything like what he was saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks