1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are Progressive Players Hothouse Animals?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mary M S, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

This question to you who have adready upgraded from non to progressive players. Are progressive players more finicky?

Have a Pioneer DV-C302D 3 disc changer (non-progressive), and it has been a trooper. Had a few miniscule 'skippy' moments but its pretty much handled everything thrown at it. Double duty as CD/DVD player.

Came home with the Sony 12 bit 108 MHz DVP-NS715P my first foray into Prog. players.

The Sony hung twice on discs requiring a play button enter before it would cont. Hitched and jumped forward a large chuck once, hitched and jumped forward (as when a Satellite has catch-up moments when a storm is coming in) for lesser amounts several times. Paused for layer change (I think? still trying to grasp LC) longer than the old Pioneer has ever paused.

I have a collection of abused and non-tended DVD’s.

Are all Progressive players ‘twitchy’ about surface condition of the DVD’s, due to more complicated sophisticated electronics and I am being picky? Or could this Sony be a player that does not handle certain situations as adeptly as other offerings?
    Thanks for any input!

2. Michael St. Clair

Progressive players read the exact same amount of data of a disc as an interlaced player, and at the same speed.

There is nothing about a progressive player to make it more touchy.