Are programmers concentrating more on gaming consoles now?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Haris Ellahi, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Do you think programmers are concentrating more on gaming consoles than PC games?

2. Christop_Holmes

Christop_Holmes Stunt Coordinator

Well, too hard to tell. but i guess you can say video games are their a higher priority as opposed to computers, becuase with video games they can be specified to fit it directly since all of the xboxes are the same, all the gamecubes are the same, and all the ps2's are the same so they can lock it in that as opposed to computers which has a lot of different varieties so it needs to be able to work on almost all to be satisfied with

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I think they are...first off, QC is much more rigorous on a console. Bugs can't be patched, so programmers have to work extra hard fixing them. Luckily, they don't have to deal with all the PC configuration crap.

If you look at the Deus Ex 2 forums, people are blaming consoles for the "dumbed down" game play of the demo.

Also, a lot of hit games have just been ported to the PC from the console world: Halo, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Final Fantasy series, Grand Theft Auto series, etc., and many games originally on the PC have made it to console-land: Max Payne 1 and 2, Quake 3, Unreal series, Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2, etc.

Note that when a console game gets ported to the PC, that the PC version is, while often prettier, is also usually a lot slower (Halo, KOTOR, etc.)...the programmers doing the PC port are basically doing half-assed jobs at optimizing the game for the PC. But console programmers do the opposite...

4. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Most games out of the gate sell more units if they lead on a console(s) vs. PC.

What is it now, 10 milion+ PS2s and 3-4 million+ Xboxes out there? There are more potential sales there than the with the dedicated PC gamer (if it's a good game). KOTOR did 250K DAY ONE, it takes a HUGE PC franchise to release with those numbers.

There are exceptions to the rule of course (BG3 AOE, WC3, Q3 or a MMORPG would sell much more leading on the PC.

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Add to it that consoles more easily integrate into a home entertainment setting.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Yeah...I'd rather play SW:KOTOR in front of the TV on my DD5.1 receiver than on my PC...I can lean back on my couch and relax while kicking Sith ass!