Are power conditioners recommended?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brad Newton, May 2, 2003.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I have ordered my 1st HT system & the dealer says that I should add a Monster power conditioner. He says that not only will it protect from surges but will also clean up the audio & video. Is this true? I have ordered the Pioneer 45tx, Klipsch rf3, rc3, sb2, ss1 & will soon be ordering a svs sub. I understand that I need a surge protector for the equipment, but am wondering which to purchase.

2. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

I would buy a Monster to start with. They are normally better than normal ones. But if you can now or afford to later I would buy a power conditioner. Like a Panamax or a Monster conditioner. They are pretty pricey, but the Panamax has a million dollar lifetime warrenty on equipment. Just make sure you hook everything into it. Including your cable. If you don't the warrenty is void. I bought my Panamax 1000+ for 250 bucks used. I don't know what they are calling there new line. But check out thier website www.panamax.com Hope this helps. Good luck. Mike

3. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Do these units actually "clean up" the audio & video or just protect against surges?

4. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Both to varying degrees, but don't expect a dramatic difference.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I prefer Panamax to Monster, until you get into their top models, where the differences are fewer. The benefit in terms of "cleaning up" anything is open to debate, but clean power is certainly never a bad thing. The protection and piece of mind are worth it to me.

www.discountpanamax.com - no tax, free shipping on select models. (they also carry Monster)