What's new

Are Phone Booths still around in NYC? (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to seeing that new movie, but it makes me wonder if they still have Phone Booths in NYC. It would make a bit of sense to still have them since it's a loud city, but do they still have them? Here in Philly they are non-existant. I think the movie has one at Times Square where all the action takes place in the movie. Some New Yorkers help me out here.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
what's the rationale for taking out the phone booths? too costly (repairs)? takes up too much space? dangerous (people could have a trained sniper on them while on the phone)??

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
There are still two of the old wooden ones
upstairs at Sardi's...by the upstairs bar.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
There are no exterior phone booths left in Manhattan, as far as I know. There are some in restaurants, bars, etc, but more for 'trendiness' than anything else.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Yes, i agree...or, because they were always there, and were never removed, like at SARDI'S

EricW

Senior HTF Member
so are there phonebooths in other major US cities? is NY the exception or the rule?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
There are no phone booths around in Philadelphia, PA, or New York apparently. Except for the few that are in restaurants and bars, but they are there for pure nostalgic purposes it seems. And now that I think about it, I've visited Chicago, and St. Louis last year and didn't see one in their downtown areas, which is where they would be if they had any. They just had regular public pay phones too.
I've never been further west then St. Louis, but I doubt west coast cities have any either.

Do they have them in Canadian cities?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Is The Telephone bar still on 2nd Ave. around 12-15th St (I think)? The whole streetfront of that place was/is old British telephone booths (the wooden red ones). I once got a standing 'O' in there after being caught in a compromising position with a young lady in one of the booths. I really was making a phone call, honest.

Oh I long for the innocence of youth . . .

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Well here in Toronto there doesn't really seem to be many booths left. There may be the odd one here or there but mostly it's just phones on a pole with a little 'roof' over top of it.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Re: the movie phonebooth...

I think the film gets around this issue by stating at the outset that the phonebook in question is one of the last in the city, due to be scrapped.

Anyway, I have no interest in the movie. I liked it better when it was called liberty stands still. At least you had Linda F. and Wesley S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks