What's new

Are people renting DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yes I rent, but only movies that I am unsure I will purchase or not. The ones I am sure to buy I just buy without renting.

RickGr

Second Unit
I buy movies I will rewatch and rent all others. Last night rented Blood Work, Bad Company and Jason X. No desire to see any of those again and got all three for 5 bucks for the evening.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
YES they are...ho ho ho.

smilol.

Pre Christmas Saturday = huge
Pre Christmas Sunday = huge
Christmas Eve = huge
Christmas Friday = huge
Christmas Sunday = huge
New Year's Eve = huge
New Year's Day = huge

We have 1,300 ex-rentals for sale as well at $8 each.

Ole

Stunt Coordinator
When you buy a DVD and then decide to sell it, where do you sell and how much of your cost do you recoup?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I haven't rented in years (my last DVD rental: You've Got Mail back when it was just released).
I find the convenience of having my always handy DVD library far too great to ever bother renting. My rental history, such as it was involved getting hit with massive late fees, so it is highly dubious I was saving money, anyway.
Life is too short to rent...
Ted

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Here's my rundown for movies watched in 2002 (this doesn't include tv shows watched on DVD, most of which I rent because I'm not interested in rewatches or collecting):
Borrowed from friends: 5
Owned: 24
Theater: 6
RENTED
Netflix: 95
Hollywood: 28
Blockbuster: 12
Video Update: 9
At approx $3 each for Netflix & $4 each for the other rentals, I spent about $481 renting. At an average of $15 per purchase the same 144 DVD's would have cost me $2160 to buy.
The cost difference between purchase and sale is not much different than the cost of renting the title.
A difference of $1679 may not be significant to many, but it is significant to me! That's a significant portion of my Tosh 50H81! Or to look at it another way, for my $481 I was able to enjoy 144 movies instead of 32 movies! I consider that significant enough to keep renting :)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
But you forgot sale of the movies you purchased...
figure an average sale of 10 then the difference is really more like ~$240...which gives you a longer rental window and repeated viewing....I think that's the point they were trying to make earlier
:)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I rent most movies. Only see what I consider big blockbusters in the theater. Most of the movies I want to see, but don't want to go to the theater, I rent first. If I really like them a lot, then I buy them.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
which gives you a longer rental window and repeated viewing
I've never needed a longer rental window than Netflix gives me. And 99% of my rentals will never get more than one rewatch if even that, and just one additional rental is still less expensive than a purchase.

I can, however, understand your point, and if I had the extra money, I would probably buy more just because of the convenience. But after house payment, car payment, etc etc., I'm probably already spending more on DVD's than I should, so the more I can get for my money, the better. Any difference, even $240, is a difference I can't afford or justify.

Elvie

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've been reading, I can understand why so many people dislike Blockbuster ... however, the particular one I deal with is very good and even puts up little signs "we're sorry, we ordered Widescreen editions and they only send Fullscreen" (to back this up is a copy of their order sheet attached to the appology sign). I'm fully aware that it's due to the particular manager of this location and as long as he's there, I'll continue to rent from them.

As far as rent vs purchase ... Hubby and I tend to only see films in theatres that need that big screen experience, otherwise we'll rent it. Examples are what we rented recently = Reign of Fire and K19. We purchase those dvd titles that we'll watch more than once and/or are special/collector items (such as the Disney Treasures tins). Even then, our collection is getting large enough to not remember all the titles we own.

I am curious though, how do any of you calculate what you'd ask if you sold one of your dvd's? Hypothetically of course, I don't have a particular title in mind at the moment.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Personally I feel out what the pawn shops and DVD trader shops are asking to get an idea of what's an appropriate asking price in your local area. ( In Winnipeg, for an average title, it's around $15 CDN )

If you were selling to the world abroad...the HTF Software for sale section gives you a good idea of what's reasonable for a particular title.

Ultimately it's up to you how much value you place on something and how much loss you're willing to accept. Don't let someone else dictate an asking price to you...that happens quite often and you have to stand your ground if you feel strongly about the price you set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks