Are people renting DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WayneG, Dec 30, 2002.

1. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I live in a well populated suburb and we have two main video stores - Blockbuster and Rogers. I was surprised to be in Rogers on Sunday to find the place empty - of people, not of DVDs. The shelves were stacked. Hardly any rentals were taken. K19s and Lilo and Stitchs were all there. A few Ballistics, Unfaithfuls, Minority Reports and Austin Powers (all the fulls gone, none of the wides) had been taken. Most of the one-offs were there. I remember in the old video days shelves would be empty on a Sunday. And think of it - we just had Christmas. People got DVD players and coupon booklets. Also, Rogers rents for two days meaning a Friday morning take out doesn't have to be back until Sunday night. And yet, the DVD shelves were stuffed like a Turkey.

Do people not rent DVDs? Do they only buy? I can't afford to fork out $20-25 for every DVD - and I watch a lot. I'd be broke. I saw a report that rental places were falling to sellers like Wal-Mart, but I'm surprised that people spend that much money buying something you may only watch once.

In December, I watched probably a dozen DVD rentals and spent, with coupons, about $40. To buy them would have cost $250 at least. There wasn't anything I felt a need to own.

When I mentioned to someone awhile back that I was renting 'Run Lola Run' they said, "Oh, you've got to buy it. You've got to buy it." Why, I asked? if I'm probably only going to watch it once. They didn't reply.

Wayne

Wayne

2. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I rent DVDs all the time. If there is a DVD that I know I will like, I will buy it. If I rent a movie and really like it, I will buy it. This is the main reason my collection of DVDs is fairly small. I rent a DVD almost every weekend.

3. Joseph_mx

Joseph_mx Stunt Coordinator

I dont rent. I love to buy dvd's.

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Wayne,
    The Saturday after Christmas is notoriously slow for rentals of any product. People are still watching their gifts of DVD's, VHS, etc and spending their giftcards on sale merchandise. Friday afterwards are decent, but this past Saturday was slow in all rental stores I know of in this area, as well. Tomorrow night and this coming Friday are freakin' huge!!! Be in a video store after 12 Noon on Tuesday or after 5pm on Friday and see what I mean : ) Biggest rental days of the year!

Happy New Year,

Matt

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

www.netflix.com
    www.numberslate.com
    I rent from both. [​IMG]
    Generally, I don't rent from B&M chains because
    if a DVD is loaded with special features, there is
    no way I will be able to get through all the bonus
    materials, which I like to do, before it is due back.
    (Can you imagine someon trying to get through all the
    commentaries on Fight Club and watch
    the film, and do it all in 3 days and still have a life?)
    Mark

6. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

I think since DVD's don't have a rental period like VHS did, most people will just buy the DVD when it comes out. In my case, I only rent movies I would not pay $20 for, or movies I know i'll only watch once.

Dean

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III

That would be me. I have a modest collection of just over 100 titles and I've never rented a DVD. I get good prices on what I buy and over the past year or so I've slowed down to getting about one new title per month. I guess rather than new I should say additional because sometimes I buy used. If I was a movie buff to the level of watching 12 different titles per month then I'd be a renter too but I didn't even approach that number back when I was a projectionist.

8. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I rent every so often if I'm not too sure about a title, but not from the big chains really. mostly from the general store around the corner from me. Until lately, they've been getting in all widescreen stuff. [​IMG]

9. KevinA

KevinA Agent

usually never rent... its been probably a year or more since my last rental. Now in saying this I actually rented 2 dvds tonight!!:b wife wanted to rent minority report to see if it was worth buying... I said sure! We go into hollywood video... all out!! So we grabbed Insomnia and A Beautiful mind.. (liked the original Insomnia better[​IMG] )

10. David Parker

David Parker Auditioning

I usually rent my DVD's from our Hastings store in town. $3.49 for 5 nites and I believe if you return a new rental within 24 hours you get a one dollar credit on your account. So renting for me is more economical.

11. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Second Unit

Sean Aaron
    My wife and I signed up for a 1-year subscription with in-movie.com (UK equivalent to Netflix) because the selection at the rental shops in town is crap and I'm not supporting Blockbuster.

So far so good. At £14.95/mo we get to have two titles out at any given time and have gotten far more for our money than we would in a shop any day.

Honestly I buy enough that I don't feel a need for rentals, but my wife doesn't care that much about buying and there's lots of titles she'd like to see that I don't want to buy and frankly there's a lot of b-titles I'd like to see for fun that I wouldn't touch if I had to buy them to see them as I'm quite circumspect with my purchases.

Having said that, I find the rental window practice of putting out bare bones discs with forced ads on them that I find on Film Four productions repellant as well as the rental window versions of Columbia and Warner titles...still rental is a viable option for us and the subscription method seems pretty nice. Every so often something new comes in the post that we might not have picked off the shelf in a store; can't say I mind saving the time and money and the selection cannot be equalled.

12. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I recently started to manage a small video store in my town. which happens to be the only video store in the town I live in. I know for myself my buying of dvds has only slowed slightly if at all.... even though I get free rentals. Not to mention the first crack at new releases as the distributor usually sends us the movies on Monday.... sometimes even the Friday before the Tuesday release.
    And yes now that I am managing the video store we stock the wide-screen DVDs! {On that note anyone here can tell me where I could get a couple posters that shows the difference between wide-screen and P&S???}
    This past Friday I watched XXX which is released today.
    I can also tell you that as for customers... dvd rents twice the amount that the vhs rents out. and for the last few days I have had so many ppl come in saying they got a dvd player for Xmas and start renting even more... and so far very few complaints about wide-screen... life is good! [​IMG]

13. Shaun C

Shaun C Agent

I rent a lot. Things I consider real blockbusters, (fro example, AOTC, HP, Spiderman, LOTR, Star Trek) I will see in the theater. If I liked one of those enough I'll just buy the DVD. But most other movies, I just wait and rent the DVD. Many of those, even if I liked them, I don't think I'd have a real interest in seeing again. The few rentals that I feel I will probably watch again, I put on my list to buy, looking for the best price. And of course Dave's Roundup is a great help there.

14. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

I rent all the time. There are few movies I'd want
    to watch over again and so I buy about 4 discs
    a month.

15. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

I will rent as long as its not &*#*$% pan and scan[​IMG] !
    Of course here in my home state where true HT is practically non existant, the video stores only carry P.O.S. P&S!

16. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

17. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

We rent all the time. We also utilize the library a great deal. Yeah, you have to wait a while until a copy comes in, but it's FREE! And you get it for two weeks! Currently on reserve at the library, we have:

My choices:
    Breaking the Waves
    The Others
    The Third Man (Criterion)
    The Seventh Seal (Criterion)
    M (Criterion)
    L'avventura (Criterion)
    Wild Strawberries (Criterion)
    Children of Paradise (Criterion)
    In the Mood for Love (Criterion)
    The Red Shoes (Criterion)
    Traffic (Criterion, I think)
    Aguirre, the Wrath of Khan God
    Fitzcarraldo
    Nosferatu, the Vampire
    Focus

Girlfriend's choices:
    Happy Accidents
    Sidewalks of New York
    The Business of Strangers
    Amy's O
    Not Another Teen Movie
    Snow Falling on Cedars
    Shadow of the Vampire
    Amistad
    Joe Somebody
    Spider-Man
    Forrest Gump
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    Jakob the Liar
    Osmosis Jones
    Cats & Dogs
    Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
    The House of Mirth
    The Majestic
    Pumpkin
    Dog Soldiers
    Wendigo
    Habit
    Jack & Sarah
    The Emperor's New Groove
    Where the Heart Is
    Scream
    Scream 2
    Waking Ned Devine
    The Cell
    The Lathe of Heaven

Mutual choices:
    Lilo & Stitch
    Y Tu Mama Tambien
    The Importance of Being Earnest
    Finding Forrester
    Ice Age

18. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

All I use to do is buy, buy and buy. But that was adding up really quick. So now, unless it is a movie that I really like, I rent. At my local store I can reserve movies and I always have a coupon for rent one get one for free, so 2 dvd rentals only runs me $3.16. [​IMG]

19. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I rarely rent a movie. I would rather just apply the $4 towards buying a movie I can watch any time. Plus, I've always had a huge collector mentality. I enjoy owning a decent movie collection. Everyone of my friends knows they can always come to my house for a good movie. It's as much for other people as myself. There's really nothing like experiencing a good film with someone who hasn't seen it before. But that really has little to do with the thread subject.

20. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Chuck- It must be nice to be able to check out DVDs at the library. I asked my local library when they would start carrying DVDs, and they said they don't have enough budget to carry them! (Although I haven't checked, I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to buy VHS, however). So I have a Blockbuster Rewards card, a Movie Gallery card, and of course I subscribe to Netflix (but only the 2 out at a time category). So I definitely rent far more than I purchase. Occasionally I think about cancelling Netflix, but then I realize that most of what I rent from them is not available locally. So I continue my membership, even if I don't always rent a lot of movies from them.

Steve K.