What's new

Are People Really Being Fooled By the New Wal*Mart Ads? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jim, thanks for the reasoned thoughts. The rest of us unreasoned masses should just leave now :)I've got no position on unionization. I'm not pro-union person, thinking they're past their prime and just as sluggish and top heavy as the corporations they putatively seek to tame. But my "knowledge" is all third-hand water cooler stuff at non-union jobs. So I'm ignorant, really on any pros or cons.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I started reading that long post. I stopped as soon as I read the statement "I'm in human resources". There was no point in going any further.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Walter C said:
Whenever asking those same people about Target, I often get silence. Target seems like the same type of store, yet never seem to get targeted (pun intended).

And I guess they don't have the reputation of having cheap products (in terms of quality), like K-Mart did, back in the day.
That's probably because Target set out to create an image with its customers as "the Anti-WalMart"--
Where Wal-Mart sets its displays of housewares and junk food in large bulk packages on narrow columns of steel shelves, Target designs its stores with a little more spacious visual style and lower-pressure shopping experience.
Not to mention its house-brands of food, health and house items are fairly classy and pretty comparable with major brands, and it's already replaced BB&B as my one go-to store for fixup and redecorating.

Big-boxes, along with the economy, have pretty well put the big department stores out of business along with the main street shops, but Target at least manages to make the necessity of discount shopping approachable to their growing base of middle-class customers who up until now would've normally scraped K-Mart off their shoe.
I can't speak for hiring practices, but shopping at Target has become more of a pleasurable impulse, while Wal-Mart has become a place you skulk in and out of to grab some undesirable bargain like diapers, Doritos or toilet cleaner, for a bulk deal.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Retail doesn't support "livable wages". From Wal-Mart to Meijer, to K-mart, and Target. With rare exceptions (Hobby Lobby, and Costco with wages starting near $15 an hour with 40 hour work weeks) Retail is on par with Fast Food chains. Unless you're a manager be prepared to get $10 to $11 max pay, and an average of 28 hours a week. Why Wal-Mart has always been put in the crosshairs for not giving employees more hours and better pay puzzles me, when it is the model for nearly every retail chain across America.
Now, Wal-Mart putting a mega superstore near or in a small town wiping out mom, and pop stores that have been there for decades is a different matter, and deserves all the negative publicity they generate by such tactics.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Why Wal-Mart has always been put in the crosshairs for not giving employees more hours and better pay puzzles me, when it is the model for nearly every retail chain across America.
The disparity between the pay of the lower paid workers and the folks at the top is probably a big reason. (To be fair, I have no idea what the ratio is between other top retailer executives and their workers. I'm sure it is probably pretty outlandish given the current state of affairs in America.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/23/walmart-wages-to-ceo-annual-salary_n_3140618.html

And perhaps likely due to the concentration of wealth at the top...

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/18/business/la-fi-mo-walmart-heirs-20120718

- Walter.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
Now, Wal-Mart putting a mega superstore near or in a small town wiping out mom, and pop stores that have been there for decades is a different matter, and deserves all the negative publicity they generate by such tactics.
Their tactics don't always work. Have a mom and pop hardware/garden store near my home and they have survived the Walmart invasion.

They truly care about their customers, they are friendly, helpful and will do anything to help out. Garden designs, choice of flowers, weed killers, basic plumbing parts, even showed me how to fix a clogged drain, had an "escape valve" or something like that I never even knew about, but they walked me through how to fix things.
Good luck getting that kind of care at a Walmart. There are a few exceptions as I mentioned above, but Walmart and their employees do actually fit the "Walmart" vision we've all grown to hate.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Stan said:
Their tactics don't always work. Have a mom and pop hardware/garden store near my home and they have survived the Walmart invasion.

They truly care about their customers, they are friendly, helpful and will do anything to help out. Garden designs, choice of flowers, weed killers, basic plumbing parts, even showed me how to fix a clogged drain, had an "escape valve" or something like that I never even knew about, but they walked me through how to fix things.
Good luck getting that kind of care at a Walmart. There are a few exceptions as I mentioned above, but Walmart and their employees do actually fit the "Walmart" vision we've all grown to hate.
The issue your mom and pop store will run into eventually is when "mom and pop" want to retire. No one else will come in and buy the business to compete with the big boys. We had two local stores -- one hardware store and one lawn and garden center (sold and repaired lawn mowers and snow blowers) -- compete very well with the Home Depot that arrived several years ago. In each case, though, when the owners wanted to retire he/she could not find someone else to take over the business. One of the buildings is now a gym, and the other is still vacant.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The towns around me are 15 minutes from Meijer/Target/Walmart(max of 25 minutes).

The smaller towns all have(Hebron, Lowell and Demotte) a hardware(Do It Best or Tru Value) and at least one grocery. Demotte(furthest away) actually has a non-chain drugstore...including a CVS down the block.

But. Where I am the next bump stop on the way to LaFayette is Renssalaer...which has a mini(well mini for them) WalMart and it isn't decimated either.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
The issue your mom and pop store will run into eventually is when "mom and pop" want to retire. No one else will come in and buy the business to compete with the big boys. We had two local stores -- one hardware store and one lawn and garden center (sold and repaired lawn mowers and snow blowers) -- compete very well with the Home Depot that arrived several years ago. In each case, though, when the owners wanted to retire he/she could not find someone else to take over the business. One of the buildings is now a gym, and the other is still vacant.
I certainly hope that doesn't happen. The store has been there 40+ years, used to be a little grocery store, just across the street from my elementary school. We'd go over and buy candy and sodas, etc.

I'll have to ask them next time I shop. Never really thought about what you brought up, The store, the wonderful employees, they've just always been "there".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
But. Where I am the next bump stop on the way to LaFayette is Renssalaer...which has a mini(well mini for them) WalMart and it isn't decimated either.
Ah yes. Rensselaer, Indiana. The "other" Rensselaer. :biggrin:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ah yes, the "blink and you miss it" across the river from Albany.

My family in Buffalo has a graduate from Maria College, so I've been there once.

At the same time I was at IU, cousins were at Maria, Syracuse and Cornell.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Target is really no different than Walmart. In fact, on average their wages are lower than that of wal-mart employees. Plus, Target's CEO makes about $14,000/hour while Wal-mart's makes $11,000.

Walmart gets the hate because they're America's largest employer - about 2.2 million Americans. Target employes about 340,000.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ralph-nader/target-walmart_b_4254981.html

Walmart also gets hate because of the stunt they pulled in Canton, Ohio. Asking employees to donate food for their fellow less fortunate co-workers was practically saying "we don't pay your buddies enough so why don't you help them instead?"

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
ShellOilJunior said:
Walmart also gets hate because of the stunt they pulled in Canton, Ohio. Asking employees to donate food for their fellow less fortunate co-workers was practically saying "we don't pay your buddies enough so why don't you help them instead?"
Just reminds me of a religious cult that I used to be a part of, for a long time. Obviously, I can't share more here due to HTF rules.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
ShellOilJunior said:
Target is really no different than Walmart. In fact, on average their wages are lower than that of wal-mart employees. Plus, Target's CEO makes about $14,000/hour while Wal-mart's makes $11,000.

Walmart gets the hate because they're America's largest employer - about 2.2 million Americans. Target employes about 340,000.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ralph-nader/target-walmart_b_4254981.html

Wow! I'm going to work for Target. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Stan said:
I certainly hope that doesn't happen. The store has been there 40+ years, used to be a little grocery store, just across the street from my elementary school. We'd go over and buy candy and sodas, etc.

I'll have to ask them next time I shop. Never really thought about what you brought up, The store, the wonderful employees, they've just always been "there".
Hopefully your store will have a younger family member willing to take things over, but the two stores I referred to had been in business for even longer -- S&W Hardware for over 60 years, and Saxton Lawn & Garden for 84 years. And the town I live in still has a lot of successful small businesses and independently-owned restaurants.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
ShellOilJunior said:
The reports I read said it was something set up by employees, for employees, in their break room. Walmart had nothing to do with organizing the event, and the employees at that store are rather miffed that there have been so many inaccurate stories in the press about it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
Hopefully your store will have a younger family member willing to take things over, but the two stores I referred to had been in business for even longer -- S&W Hardware for over 60 years, and Saxton Lawn & Garden for 84 years. And the town I live in still has a lot of successful small businesses and independently-owned restaurants.
Thanks for your post. I certainly hope a family member takes over when the time comes.
I support small businesses like this as much as possible, rarely shop at the "big box" stores, like Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

The first and last time I ever went to Home Depot was to get a snake to fix a drain. Took me almost 30 minutes to find what I needed, never received any help, then I get home and discover the thing had been used. It had obviously been wet, put back in the box where it rusted and was returned and put back on the shelf.Had I gone to the local store, probably would have been a five minute trip. Years later, they actually walked me step by step on how to clear out a basement drain, told me about an "escape" valve or something like that, but I found it, cleared the drain and saved hundreds of dollars on plumbing bills. Good luck getting that kind of service at Lowe's, etc.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Stan said:
Thanks for your post. I certainly hope a family member takes over when the time comes.
I support small businesses like this as much as possible, rarely shop at the "big box" stores, like Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

The first and last time I ever went to Home Depot was to get a snake to fix a drain. Took me almost 30 minutes to find what I needed, never received any help, then I get home and discover the thing had been used. It had obviously been wet, put back in the box where it rusted and was returned and put back on the shelf.Had I gone to the local store, probably would have been a five minute trip. Years later, they actually walked me step by step on how to clear out a basement drain, told me about an "escape" valve or something like that, but I found it, cleared the drain and saved hundreds of dollars on plumbing bills. Good luck getting that kind of service at Lowe's, etc.
Unfortunately, that's the experience I usually get at Home Depot. It's RARE that someone asks me if I need help locating something. Now I only go there for shipping or moving boxes but by now I know where they are in the store. Otherwise, I don't go there.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Around here we actually have good Lowe's...

A few years back in Indy, I was shingling a roof after a storm. Anyway that black rubber "thing" that goes over the vent pipe...

Took the old one to Menards...
Proceeded to have "help" not finding the correct size. Took like 20 minutes.

Went to Lowe's...
Couldn't find the right size again, asked a guy and he goes..."That is a 2 inch..."
I replied..."but its 2.5"

He goes..."You'd be 2.5 as well if you were stuck up an a roof for 25 years..."

Sure enough...the 2 inch was the right one. (vent pipes are always 2 or 3 inch...who knew...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks