1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are People Really Being Fooled By the New Wal*Mart Ads?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dick, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I dunno. I shop sometimes at a Walmart in North Bergen New Jersey and it is spotless. Every employee I have dealt with is friendly and knowledgeable. The store is well lit and well stocked. And 3% sales tax. On the other hand, I shopped a few times at a Walmart in Lodi NJ and it was disgusting with the opposite of everything in the North Bergen store. So your experience may depend on individual stores. It's a free country thank God and we can choose where we work and where we shop.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

This is the opposite of my experiences in Wal Mart. I've probably been in 10 Wal Marts in PA and NJ and every one is a dirt pit on par with an old flee market, the employees- when you can actually find one- are without exception rude, incompetent, unknowledgeable and slow (though I can imagine that the job doesn't breed positivity), the availability and order of the products is horrendous and the number of cashiers is always insufficient to the number of customers. I'm sure there's some decent stores out there and there's certainly some good employees but Wal Mart could be the greatest employer in the world and I still wouldn't shop there based on awful shopping experiences in so many of their stores.

I might be coming off as a prick but I assure you that I'm very easy when it comes to shopping. If a store has what I want, I don't really care about the appearance of the store or the rudeness of the employees. My only real requests are that I can easily find merchandise and I want the person ringing me up to be remotely efficient and I have never had that happen in a Wal Mart.

Everett S. likes this.
  3. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Except you don't save money by shopping there. Wal-Mart pays most of its employees so little that they are eligible for (and require) taxpayer assistance to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads. Some individual stores dip into federal and state assistance programs to the tune of over $1 million per year. That's EACH store.

So while you may not be paying a higher price at the register, more of your tax dollars go to Wal-Mart's impoverished employees because they don't earn a living wage. The more stores they build and the more people they employ, the more your taxes subsidize the increasing wealth of the Walton heirs because they won't pay their workers a living wage.

Prices so nice, you pay them twice.

cafink, ROclockCK and Walter Kittel like this.
  4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I edited my original post because I wasn't certain it would be appropriate, but since we are talking here....

I do not shop at Wal-Mart because of their policies towards their workers. When food drives have to be held for their employees that tells me all I need to know about their wages for the lower paid employees. The majority of associates make < $25,000 a year. As Brian correctly points out, many employees require tax-payer funded assistance, so we the tax payers are essentially subsidizing Wal-Mart's wage scale.

Folks can shop where they will, but for me, Wal-Mart is not one of those choices.

- Walter.

5. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Really pretty meaningless information but I can see how some would think it is meaningful information.

"The majority of our workforce is full-time and makes more than $25,000/year."

That is an interesting number for them to post. So the majority of their full-time workforce makes just about 25k a year. You know if it was 26k they would have stated that number, heck they would have stated 25.5K if that was the number. It's probably safe to say the majority of their full-time workforce makes somewhere between $25,001 and $25,499. Not bad but in some areas of the country that would be hard to live on and supporting anyone other than one person would be very difficult.

I wonder if the majority of the full-time workforce gets medical benefits. I honestly do not know. If not that 25k number is really bad.

No big deal that so much of the store management came up through the ranks, that is the norm for the retail industry.

The 160k promoted information is useless without the data to get into the details.

The 3.62% is damn good for that industry. To put things into context, most grocery store chains make less than 1%.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Rocket Science Department
    Supporter

Clint
    edited for content

7. Stan

Stan Producer

I do agree with this about 90%.

I'm a fairly "techie" person, but I despise cell phones, smart phones, etc. Probably has to do with me having to manage up to 100 cell phone contracts, monitor the bills, adjust plans, make sure people paid back personal calls, people bitching about the style of phone I chose, etc. at my last job.

Anyhow, I own a cheapie TracPhone, where you buy minutes as you need them and keep it just for emergencies, rarely use it.

Had a minor problem with my phone, took it back to Walmart, everything was fixed, they even popped on an extra 1,000 minutes. However my dog smelled it, could tell somebody else had handled it and chewed it up. Had to go get another phone.

The guy was amazing, swapped out phones, made all the calls to transfer my number, added more free minutes, etc. Plus he was nice and really polite, not that snarly, rude attitude you get from most of their employees.

We have one 1/2 a mile from my home and I'd bet I've been there ten times since it was built 15 years ago, a couple really good visits, but the rest were just dealing with typical, uncaring employees.

8. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    I remember when people used to bitch because they'd walk into Best Buy at the 16-year-old girl working there didn't know the name of the second film Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi appeared in together.

This whole Wal-Mart thing constantly makes me laugh. I go there probably four times a week. Sometimes I walk away so angry where I want to light up a cigarette and I quite about five years ago. Sometimes I walk out without an issue. Yes, it a lot cheaper than say some place like Krogers.

As for the employees, I know many companies who underpay their works so I'm a little confused as to why Wal-Mart gets called out. Taco Bell, Krogers and various other places aren't any better.

As far as the commercials goes, don't most commercials sell bullshit to dumb people? If someone is dumb enough to buy any commercial then that's on them and not the store or the PR department. I remember when Axe first came out there was a guy I worked with who honestly believed that if you sprayed yourself with that stuff that hot women who pretty much strip your clothes off and sleep with you just like the commercials. He would constantly spray himself whenever a girl would walk by and he was always shocked that he bought a "bad" can and that "it" wasn't working right.

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    We're getting dangerously close to politics and religion here, but I'll note that as our workforce ages (boomers are working longer) it has become common for fast food and low impact retail jobs to become careers where they were typically the domain of youths. (What's a yout?) I don't think Walmart is the -cause- of that, but they certainly benefit from it.

10. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Well sure, the systematic exploitation of the working poor in this country is equivalent to a 16-year-old girl working at Best Buy who isn't knowledgeable regarding classic cinema. I don't know how else to respond to such an absurd analogy.

- Walter.

cafink likes this.
  11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Dick, your comments kinda make my head hurt. I'm not sure if you're indicting yourself as a shopper or what?I don't shop at Walmart. Have been in the store a handful of times the past 15 years. I don't have any feelings over whether anyone else shops there. But I don't understand why anyone would shop there if they get cursing mad over the ads. There are so many options for big box retail, all with competitive prices. Use the other stores and reduce the stress in your life.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

But so far, so good. But please keep that in mind, folks, as this is a very tight rope we're walking here.
    I know that guy, too! :laugh:

13. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I couldn't help but laugh at this. On the other hand, I don't know if I should pity the guy for being so gullible or be critical of his intelligence for buying into something so obviously ridiculous.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Depends on where you live. Not all of us have six Walmarts, four Targets, and three Best Buys within a 20-mile radius.

15. Stan

Stan Producer

I may have mentioned this years ago, but there was a community vote on whether to allow a Walmart or a Multi-screen theatre to build.

The senior citizens massively defeated having the cinemas built, figured there would be such incredible traffic they didn't want to deal with it.

Well my oh my did they get a surprise, just a wild guess but Walmart traffic is probably at least 20x what the movie theatres would have brought in.

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

So let me get this straight, all the money that I've spent on Ax all these years has just been wasted? Sonuvabitch.

17. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    The Axe guy is both sad and funny. It's funny because I'm sure there are many more out there who believe what commercials tell them. I've personally never understood it but then again, I don't understand why people buy items that celebs sell. I knew another guy who hated Pepsi but he started drinking it when Spears did a commercial for it. It was funny seeing him gag while trying to drink it yet he had to do it since "his" girl liked it. I honestly can't recall ever buying something just because a celeb sold it.

18. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    :lol: Yeah, I still use it after all these years but I don't think it's ever actually done anything.

19. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I once bought something from Mariah Carey...

20. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Only time I go to Walmart is 5-7 AM. Only thing open. Man, I gotta get a life.

I prefer Costco. I think they treat their employees a lot better.

There has to be 12-15 Walmarts, Targets and Home Depots within 20 miles of me. 6 or so BestBuys. Costco's almost across the street. Computers in my family room.