Are Paradigm Speakers that good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke Zhang, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Luke Zhang

Luke Zhang Extra

I hear members talk alot of the Paradigm speakers. May I ask which lines of speakers from Paradigm do you consider good compared other brands of speakers in turns of price and performance?

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Yes, Paradigm speakers are very good. I'll let actual owners go into further detail, but I will say that I have been impressed with the quality of the products I've heard. If you can make your way into Canada to buy them, they're an even better value.
    The two product lines I read about most here are the Monitor series and the more expensive Studio series. The Studio series have a bit more finess and classier cabinets, but either one would be a good buy.
    How do they compare with other speakers. Let's just say they're slightly better than Bose speakers. [​IMG]

3. JesseR

JesseR Stunt Coordinator

If anyone has dealt with any dealers in the montreal or surrounding areas and have been really satisfied with the service coudl you possibly let me know the dealers name....im looking to take a trip from central new york into canada sometime to buy some paradigms but theres so many dealers itd be a big help if i got a little help from someone.....and paradigm are great speaekrs....cant wait to buy my monitor system

4. Kevin Brashear

Luke,

These folks that rave about the Paradigms mean what they say. My friend has had a set for about 3 years now, and I just went and bought Monitor 7's mains, CC-370 Center, and Mini-Monitors (for rear surrounds) and I absolutely love them. Of course, the old speakers I had for 13 years were made by "The B*** word"..(Bose)..so....it's a tremendous step up for me. However, I did not go to high end audio stores and audition high end speakers. I heard Paradigms for 3 years at my friends house, and that was enough for me. Plus all the input from the nice folks in here made my decision easy. I may have had to spend considerably more to get sound equivalent to the Paradigms, and I'm not ready to spend several thousand dollars for speakers just yet.

I also have a Velodyne CT-120 sub and my living room is roughly 13X20, so the listening area is plenty full of sound if I crank it. That's why I'm building a Home Theater in the unfinished basement of my condo ASAP.

That's just my $.02 about the Paradigms.

Good Luck,

Kevin

5. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Luke
    I am a Paradigm advocate. I Started out with mini-MK3
    and a PS-800 sub a couple of years ago. I then changed
    my Mk-3 for mini-monitors . I have now upgraded to
    studio 20's with a psw-2200 sub (dont have space for
    towers). The combination is fantastic .
    The studio 20's are listed at 1000$ cnd/pair. The sub
    is also listed at 1000$ cnd. I purchased both and got
    a deal at 1600 $. There are a lot of good speakers
    out there but for the money I think Paradigm is hard
    to beat and they are made in Canada.
    The only good advise I can give you is that when
    it comes to buying speakers you have to do three
    things LISTEN LISTEN and LISTEN again . As you listen
    to different brands and models you will form your
    own opinion which might be different from mine.
    Good luck and excuse my english
    Robert
    Montreal[​IMG]

6. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Jesse R

I buy my Paradigm speakers at La Boutique Électronique

and I get good service there. I would call them first

to make shure they have what you want in stock.

La Boutique Électronique

3352 Boul. des Sources

Dollard-des-Ormeaux

Tel. 514-684-6846

Robert

7. Jason F.

Jason F. Stunt Coordinator

Kevin if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your paradigm's? I am having a hard time finding prices on the paradigm's.

8. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I've got the same setup as Kevin so I'll chime in here and say that I paid $650 for the Monitor 7's (full retail I believe, because I was trading in a pair of Monitor 3's at the time). $320 for the Minis and $280 for the CC-370.

9. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Are the paradigms all that and a bag of hammers? Yes and no IMO. The studio line is very good and competes well on a per dollar basis. The lower lines are ok but the titan's have a rather nasty 60 hz bump which bloates the mid range and all in all in the lower priced point I'd lean towards other speakers over the paradigms. Speakers more then anything else in home theater are personal preferences which are influnenced by what you listen to and which room they are in. Speak A in room B might sound stunning but those same speakers in room C might sound horrible. Obviously placement also can play a major role in the speakers sound as well. All these variables makes it very hard to accurately get a feel for how those speakers are going to sound in your home so if at all possible try to buy from places with good return policies.

Anyway to sum up IMO the paradigms are worthy of an audition but only you can decided if they are what you're looking for in a speaker.

11. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Oh yeah, I also have Paradigm Monitor 9's for fronts ($640 US), CC370 Center ($290) and ADP170 surrounds ($375)

I think they are very good speakers, nice quality, relatively inexpensive and sounded the best too me out of the speakers I demo'd in that price range. I use them about 70% HT and 30% music.

Ken

12. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

The Monitor 9's don't match with the CC-370, do they? I contemplated moving up, but the inability of getting a matching center disuaded me.

13. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I watched a movie and listened to music in a HT with paradigm Studio 100s 5.1 setup and I wasn't all that impressed.
    What was unimpressive was the performance to dollar ratio. I found everything I wanted in a home theater when listening to JBL studios and Klipsch ref speakers, however, I'm still new to the hobby.
    I would give a listen to the high end names and then think if it's worth that extra money. To me, Paradigm Studio 100s sounded like "just another speaker".
    Two of my "audio enthusiast" college buddies also agreed after we went on an auditioning spree during spring break. (sounds fun eh?)
    The only setup that stood out was some Martin Logan Odysseys + Mark Levinson Monoblocks and CD player. Those were ok [​IMG]

14. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Gonna chime in here. First off, Chris, what did you hear the Studio 100's combined with? Were they run off a receiver or separates? What kind of power were they fed and what was the source? All these have a huge output on the sound.

Now to my experiences. I have an all Studio Ref 5.1 setup....40's in the front, 20's in the rear and the CC. For HT, these are AWESOME speakers, very crisp and detailed with none of the nuances of the movies ever left out. The CC stands alone as a truly awesome bargain for the center channel. Vocals and dialog are crystal.

Now, for music my tastes differ. The Paradigms are not bright as some have suggested, but they are a tad forward. They are very dynamic and have great punch. I feel they excel at reproducing both male and female vocals and acoustic sounds. Where they lack is in the body of reproducing hard rock. Metal and hard rock sound a tad thin IMO. They can also get a tad schrill at very high volumes from the metal dome tweeter, depending on the recording.

However, with that being said, I think they are a great bargain on a price to performance ratio. You can get better speakers, but be prepared to pay for them. For my tastes in music, I like the speaker to be a little more laid back (Dynaudio, Linn, Monitor Audio) and would be inclined to purchase one of these lines for a dedicated music system, but not everyone can afford (nor can I right now!) to do so. The Paradigms are a nice compromise. Great for HT, very above average for music.

BTW, my associated equipment is an Anthem AVM-20 preamp, Anthem MCA-5 amp, Sony SCD-555ES SACD player and a Sony DVD-360 DVD player.

15. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Quality of speakers is something that is dependent on invidual tastes but then you're talking about apple and oranges and not good vs bad. I think Paradigms are great speakers for the money. However they are no where near the best. You'll be hard pressed to find better speakers for the money but you can easily find speakers that are better albeit with a higher tag

16. Bob Br

Bob Br Agent

Luke,

I, too, enjoy my Paradigm Studio 6.1 setup. I have 80's in the front (dime fans - I know your concerns, but I like them), Studio CC front and rear centers, Studio ADP's L/R surrounds, Servo-15 sub. Auditioned a variety of models in similar US$ price range including Polk, Klipsch, B&W, Def Tech, M&K, NHT. For me, the Studio series gave me more of what I was looking for. Thanks to Evan, I ended up heading to Montreal for a great deal which made the price/value ratio unbeatable IMO.

Bob

17. JesseR

JesseR Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

what dealer in montreal did you head to for your paradigms....im trying to find someone who has dealt with someone who gave them a pretty good deal for when i go up there in a couple months to get a 5.1 setup from the monitor line.....thanks

18. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

19. Bob Br

Bob Br Agent

JesseR,

See E-mail I sent you for location, number, etc.

Bob

20. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

I think Paradigm's crowning achievement was their Active Series which sadly was discontinued. They really were(are) one the best values in audio. Period.