Are Paradigm Reference more high end than B&W 600 Series?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Barteaux, Sep 13, 2001.

1. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of trading my B&W 604's and LCR6S2 for new speakers. Would Paradigm Reference be considered an upgrade? I know go and listen, but I would like others opinions. Thanks.

2. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

Why should someones opinion matter? I think the bose would be an upgrade to both of those. See? a BAD opinion. It's up to you. i think my B&W 602s are far better than every other bookshelf that B&W makes, it's just my opinion.

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Be sure to listen to the 'Active' series of Paradigm reference speakers. IMO, the Active 40s are a huge improvement over the studio series.
    Greg

4. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Thank you Matty. I agree with your response, but I was looking for an overall consensus of how many enthusiasts feel about the two brands in general, and if it was agreed that one brand may have better sonic qualities as compared to much more expensive speakers. At least that was my intent.

5. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I auditioned these two speakers. I chose the B&W's 602's since I knew that I would be coupling these as mains with a SVS sub.
    I didn't care for the Studios I auditioned (40's, 60's) as they sounded muddy and not as clear as the 602's at the high end. If it matters, the studios were connected to a Marantz 8000 and the 602's were connected to Rotel separates.
    If you take a look at the archives, Paradigm has the "bang for the buck" reputation. B&W always highly recommended as many on this and other boards have the 800's, CDM series and 600's. I think B&W has also (forgive the wording) closer "boutique" status than Paradigm IMHO.
    But that shouldn't matter. Audition both at home with your setup and see what sounds best.

6. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

If you want a SERIOUS rec. I HIGHLY recommend auditioning the B&W 602s, they are INCREDIBLE, even compared to the 604 floor standing speakers, they are THAT good!! [​IMG]

7. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Are you unsatisfied with the "B&W sound?"
    If not, I would look at the Nautilus line. I just upgraded my 604s to Nautilus 804s and the difference is phenomenal.
    I really enjoy the sound of B&W, but you may not.
    IMO, B&W and Paradigm (600 series vs. Studio or Active) are very close to being in the same class of speaker. Whichever sounds better to the listener is the one he/she should run with.
    A "TRUE" upgrade in sound from what you have is the Nautilus line-up. Give them a listen, I did, and came home with a pair [​IMG]
    BTW, I still use 602s as rear surround, LCR6 as a center, and DS6 for rear center. I don't see a need to upgrade any of these as they use the same drivers and the timbre match is perfect to my ears.
    Jeremy

8. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

B&W rocks, Studios (40's, 60's) are good but i felt muddy and little bit of colorization.
    I found any 800's series bring the vocal in the center and soundstage with a good amp awesome.

9. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

As a proud Canadian, I must say that I do like the Paradigms but I feel as far as clarity and over all sound quality, the B&W series are the way to go. I bought the 602's about 6 months ago and have enjoyed them ever since but, as I'm sure you've been told before, audition them for yourself. Then make your own decision.

10. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

11. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

In my speaker hunt several years ago, I had auditioned a bunch of speakers including the Paradigm Reference Studio/20 V.1 and B&W DM602 V.1. IMO, the Studio/20 were better than the 602....very dynamic sounding. However, the 602 was still among my top 3. Energy Connoisseur C-2 were also highly ranked. Bought the Studio series V.1 (Studio/60 mains, Studio/20 rears and CC-450)....am still very impressed.
    Strongly suggest that you audition both (preferably in YOUR room) and trust YOUR ears.
    Dave
    [Edited last by DavidY on September 13, 2001 at 11:06 PM]

12. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

When I was looking for speakers a few years ago, I was comparing the B&W CDM line (the next line up from the 600s) with Paradigm Reference. I went with the CDMs and have been very happy.

13. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

What B&W speakers would be in the same line (comparable to) as the Paradign Studio 40's? Around $800-$900/pair depending on discount?
    Thanks, Aaron

14. chris c

chris c Stunt Coordinator

Surprised no one has mentioned this, but what are using to drive the speakers? The B&W have more potential than the Paradigms, meaning that as you upgrade electronics, the sound of the B&Ws will improve in a way the Paradigms won't. On the other hand with lower-end electronics (receivers) the Paradigms may sound better to you. I mean, you wouldn't drive the Nautilus 804s with a Yorx clock radio and expect that they will sound good right?

15. Mike Breeden

Mike Breeden Agent

Don't be dissing my York setup

16. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

I think Chris has a very good point there. The Paradigm won't have the same resolution as the B&W and will be more forgiving of cheaper electronics. The B&W will shine with a premium front end to run them.
    Overall, both have radically different timbre and presentation so, as others have said too, trust your ears above all.

17. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

When I was looking for new speakers a year ago, my decision came down to B&W vs. Paradigm Reference Studio. I listened to the whole 600 series from B&W and the whole Reference Studio line from Paradigm. I preferred the sound of the B&Ws and ended up buying the B&W 604s and an LCR6. I'm driving them with a Denon AVR4800 and they sound excellent. If you're looking for something 'better', I suggest you stick with B&W.

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Wow, look at all the good press for my speakers!
    I confess I didn't spend that much time listening to and comparing speakers. I heard the B&W 602s and snatched them up. Really fine quality; I love the sound of them even when the volume is low. They feel more like "music" speakers to me, which is great 'cause that's what I use them for.

19. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm a Paradigm guy at heart, but after hearing my friend's CDM-1NTs, I have to say that I was simply amazed with them. Some of the best imaging, clearest sounding speakers I've ever heard. Some day, when I decide to spend that much money on speakers, I will go with B&W.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

20. Earl_C

Earl_C Agent

I think there is a bit of "name-brand" bias going on here and while I am actually a big fan B&W speakers, I think once you get below the 803 they are a bit overpriced as compared to some other available speaks. And while pride of ownership is important, results are what counts and I don't think there are many speakers out there that offer the performance and (yes) value of the Active 40's (or 20's for that matter). Anything you've read or have been told by someone else about prior Paradigm designs in the past goes right out the window with these speakers. Trust me, just because an Active40 looks like a Studio40, they are not to be confused. If you can, you should listen for yourself but here is another opinion: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/p...m_active40.htm
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    [Edited last by Earl_C on September 14, 2001 at 01:21 PM]