What's new

Are our DVD collections worthless? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The one thing I know about Marco is that he has always been very particular about the condition of the titles in his collection.

I imagine that everything is in like new condition--discs and packaging.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
No matter how much you think you lost buying DVDs, think of those poor schmucks that spent a fortune investing in Beanie Babies from TV Shopping channels.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

I have 25-year-old VHS tapes with movies that have yet to resurface.

So have I! I'd love to replace them with pressed DVDs but I can't.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
marco i too hope that things will get better for you soon. anyone of us could find ourselves in the same situation, with this economy.

i thoroughly enjoy my dvd collection (600+ titles), but i feel that my collecting days are coming to an end, or at least slowing up considerably in the coming year.

i realize that while my dvd collection is valuable to me, i can never really recoup the amount of money i've spent on them in the open market.

i have given away many of my vhs catalog titles, and thrown away the rest.... they have served their purpose. i plan to stay with my SDVD library and not jump to collecting in any new formats.

and i really need to work on putting more money away for a rainy day..... so many of my family & friends are out of work, it's very sobering!

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
The main problem here is that, excluding items which obtain high values because of unavailability, you will never get as much for what is perceived as "second hand/used" goods as you will for something brand new. Even if the stuff is in absolutely mint condition - there is a reluctance to buy it. Possibly buyers do not trust sellers - perhaps with a bad experience in the past - with their descriptions of "as new". Or other may be reluctant in the same way that they are reluctant to buy things from charity shops even when the goods are just as good, at a much lower price. There is also a lingering doubt that sellers will deliver, even though it is perfectly safe to buy from places like Amazon MarketPlace which protects buyers.

Sadly, I think that you will be looking at taking a loss on many items. There is an expectation of much lower prices for "used" goods. The only exceptions will be for rarities such as Limited Editions, titles long out of print or collectables such as obscure titles that were difficult to obtain or only on sale for shot times or in small numbers. These can command high prices - often much higher than their original price. Particularly if there is no prospect of a re-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks