1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are NAD and B&W a good match?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Boris_V, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

3. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Rob:

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Rodney:

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Larry sounds good

It sounds as though we have different tastes (I like Wilsons, Revels, B&Ws and some Totems and theils)

I guess I get tired of everytime B&W is brought up on this site, people have to tear them down when the origional POST never had ANYTHING to do with speakers sound better than B&W I think it had something to do with NAD matching with B&W.

honestly I NEVER go to some other speaker thread and RIP them unless it asks in the topic.

Maybe I feel a little bit emotional about it since I have spent noumerous hrs auditioning speakers and found the 804s to be the best at the price point TO MY EARS, so to say that audiophiles (most) don't like B&Ws is a little insulting to me.

btw, If you ran a poll and had every "audiophile" list (not pick from a list) their favorite speaker, I would bet that NO speaker would get the "majority" (ie-over 50% of the votes), so to say "most audiophiles" is a little bit of semantics (but based on just the shear popularity of B&Ws, my guess is that they would be up there at the top, BUT I guess some would say that it all depends on how you define "audiophile" and could argue that no "true" audiophile would list B&W.

Larry, what is your favorite speaker, maybe I should take a listen (if it is about $5k don't even bother, I couldn't afford it anyway).

6. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

7. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Fun with editing and Larry

audiophiles don't like Larry

I most definitely consider Larry to be bright and fatiguing.

some of these people use to LOVE Larry

Larry is not universally held in high esteem, as a trip to most any high-end show will readily demonstrate.

If that is the case, fine

Yep, that is why the often expressed characterization of Larry as "bright" seems so whacked to me.

Agreed, warm, bright, or neutral. What a bunch of nonsense.

I meant that one would find support for my statement by meeting and talking with other individuals. Sorry for not having made that clear.

To each his own

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is fairly shallow for people that have low end Larry stuff

it is really a pretty lame scene and gets old real fast

FWIW, once upon a time I thought Larry were among the greatest speakers in the world, and that everyone felt that way. I now have come to realize that (1) I don't care for their sound, and (2) I am not alone in this opinion.

those are so 'common" that some of the coolness factor is gone (just like Larry).

I assure you that my interest in Larry has nothing to do with being cool. (I'm a bit old for that. ) My primary criterion in selecting components derives from a deep-seated love. It's that simple.

Good to hear, but have you tried it for yourself?

That's another forum though! Draw your own conclusions.

I never said that everyone feels this way. Only that a significant number do.

it would be foolish to say that EVERY one in the high end feel this way

My experience is obviously quite different from your own. My dislike of Larry has to do with their properties, and nothing else. Really.

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion.

8. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Mike you gotta get out!
    -rob[​IMG]

9. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Rodney:

10. Boris_V

Boris_V Agent

What a diskussion! [​IMG] But sadly in the wrong direction. [​IMG] Why again and again i stumble upon people on forums like this who don't like B&W, even hate them. [​IMG] Hmm.., maybe their reactions are justified, maybe they can't compete with some other brands sonically, i truly don't know as i'm only a newbie in this weird hi-fi world. But for me i think they produce very good looking, good sounding and good quality speakers. Some other speakers may be better in some areas, but inferior in others. I knew what it was buying the speakers i have now (300 series), it was a very tough decision what to buy, because i didn't really know what is good sounding and what is not so good sounding. As i said, hi-fi is a totally weird, subjective world where decisions are hard to be made. At least for me. But luckily i'm not one of those persons who strive to get the perfect sound (i don't have the money for that), only what matters is that the speakers are producing a satisfying sound and that at high volumes so that i can enjoy the movies in my little home cinema.

11. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Hey Boris

So you going to get the NAD amps for your system.

Can you get any of the 218THX amps? They have some power and are quite good. Can be bridged for mono channel.

I think that I would go with the 218THX amps first, then the C270 amp as second choice. Only because of the power ratings. I like having power to spare. Right now I run 2 214 amps bridged mono for my 2 channel system. It plays very good and I have noticed no difference in the overall characteristics of the sound profile. I did note that going to a bit more output helped the Maggies open up a tad.

Just my quarters worth

Well It was fun while it lasted.

Rob,
    I do get out, Or at least I should get out. They say I'll get out. I'll have to ask the doctor.

Try it some time. use the find and replace.

Larry, it had nothing to do with anything. It was just an illusion.

12. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Larry, now I understand your taste, I agree, we don;t have the same.

I received a pair of Vandys from my father after he upgraded to B&Ws ("upgrade" is in the eye of the beholder). I like the speakers, BUT to be honest after comparing them to the B&Ws, I like the B&Ws so much more I couldn't deny it (I tried, after all I would much rather have a free set of speakers that I loved and put my $$$ into other areas of the system, VS buying a pair of $3500 804s, BUT I liked the B&Ws so much more, I felt I was cheating myself if I kept the vandys in the primary system, I still plan on using them in a secondary system when I get a larger home though, as for now, they are in storage). This is NOT a slam on them, as they are very nice and smooth, I just have different taste.

PEACE

13. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Rodney:

14. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Boris,

I've been using a pair of B&W DM601s2 with an NAD C340 Integrated Amp for over a year and have been very pleased with the results. A lot ultimately depends on your source (CD or DVD) and the software you're playing but overall, with music at least, it has the signature "British Sound" that magazine writers speak of. The midrange is very clean and clear and a bit more forward with the B&W's than other speakers I've used. This is even better for Home Theater purposes as it makes dialog even easier to follow. The highs are a touch more "brighter" than my Vienna Acoustics speakers but I wouldn't necessarily call it a drawback as it offers up a little more detail. Bass is tight and decently extended in my room given the size of the speakers and the amps 50w rating.

Again, as you see from the thread, it's all subjective and some have their favorites as well as brands they hate. For me, the combo works. FYI, I'm using a Cambridge Audio D300 CD player and Panasonic DVD-RP32S DVD Player.

Cheers!
    Bill Blank