Are NAD and B&W a good match?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Boris_V, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Boris_V

Boris_V Agent

I ask since i'm about to buy one of the new NAD receivers (my current receiver is the Onkyo 595 but i want to upgrade), the T752 or T762, because i have heard good things about these receivers, especially for music reproduction (my main interest lies in home cinema but music is also important for me), and currently own B&W speakers (4xDM303 and LCR3 for center, but will soon upgrade them with the 600 series). I know, the best way would be to test it for myself but there are no stores in the vicinity with demo rooms, only small shops with little assortment. So what is the sound characteristic of NAD gear and what of B&W speakers? I read somewhere, if i recall correctly, that NAD is more warm sounding and B&W is a little on the bright sight - so it would be a good match, am i right? But recently i have read a review of an older NAD stereo amp (http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nad314e.html) and there the reviewer claims it sounded bright, so now i'm again in doubt if a NAD is the right choice for me, considering the speakers i have.
    So could you please comment on the NAD - B&W combination and what do you generally think of the new NAD receivers?

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Boris
    This should put together a very nice sounding system.

3. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

I'm not sure that I would characterize the 600s as bright. I found them to be very neutral (not bright but certainly not soft). For a mostly home cinema system, they are an excellent choice.

B&Ws typically mate very well with Rotel & B&K. I am not sure about NAD as I have not heard a B&W/NAD combo before.

4. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

Boris,

Have you had a chance to check out the NAD T752? I have been waiting for my local shop to get them in as I am also excited about the new model. Of course I'll be upgrading from an earlier version of your existing one (Onkyo 525) so it will be a huge jump for me (bye bye DPL, hello DD/DTS).

If you have seen the NAD T752, you don't happen to be in Colorado, do you?

5. Boris_V

Boris_V Agent

@ BradJudy: Not even close, except you would consider Slovenia close to Colorado. [​IMG] No, i haven't yet had the chance to listen to an T752 but i saw a thread on a german forum where one user has bought it and is quite excited about it. He prefers it over the HK 520 and Denon 3802 for example.
    @ Michael Roderiques: Good to hear, but have you tried it for yourself?
    @ Arron H: Hmmm..., it seems as every one has it's own opinion on how the B&Ws sound. [​IMG]
    Any more thoughts?

6. BradJudy

Boris: Thanks - I completely missed the Slovenia when I looked at yout post. I contacted NAD about T752 availability several weeks ago and they said it would be shipping in "early October", but I haven't seen one yet. My local shop is supposed to give me a ring when they come in.

7. Michael Roderiques

Boris Have not been able to listen to the T-752 yet, not in stock around here.

I have listened to NAD and B&W systems. Older 602's on a set up close to mine. Sounded quite good.

8. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Boris:

9. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

10. Shane Yates

Shane Yates Stunt Coordinator

I just got my NAD T752 from an authorized online dealer, I love it. I've owned the HK 220, HK 225, HK 520 most recently (I'm am so anal about finding the perfect setup for my PSB's, its ridiculous) This is by far the best HT receiver I've owned. I love the simplicity theme that NAD is known for, I hate DSP's and useless bells and whistles. Anyways I run PSB's all 'round and love it, The receiver has a fair amount of power. It produces warm, musical tones right out of the box, it should really shine when it gets broken in.[​IMG]

11. BradJudy

Shane: What dealer did you get it from? I just stopped by my local store today and they haven't received theirs yet. The owner said he would call the NAD rep on Tuesday and check on the status.

12. Michael Roderiques

I have always liked NAD gear. High quality equipment for a fair price.

I have never been a bells and whistles guy. Simple clean designs.

I hope the people running the show keep on doing what they are doing. Keep the quality of build and sound.

13. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Arron:

14. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

15. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

16. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Frank:

17. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Rob:

I said

18. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I hear you and respect your opinion. My point is that B&W makes a competative speaker at the $300 price point all the way up to the $20,000 and higher price points. They provide a quality product to a huge array of music lovers. They are doing something right.

-rob

19. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

larry,

it would be foolish to say that EVERY one in high end audio feel this way.

for dealers that sell B&W they love it, it sells well and has good sound, for dealers that don't they HATE B&Ws and say they are over rated (what do you expect them to say, being a B&W dealer is a highly selective process BTW)

to say that B&W isn't help with high regard is a little short sighted. it is a little like Mercedes Benz (not C or ML owners) freaks saying that any Japanese cars can NEVER compare to the MB when in reality the infinitis, Lexus', Acura's all can compete and kick tail over MB at each given price point. But those cars are so 'common" that some of the coolness factor is gone (just like B&W).

See Audiophiles like to be different, they like to own products people have never heard of and hte "mainstream" is evil.

some of these people use to LOVE B&W and the sound, but now feel more arrogant and want to own somthing more exclusive. If that is the case, fine.

BUT, don't assume that ALL audiophiles don't like B&Ws (btw, Revel and Wilson is starting to go through this same thing right now) even though those companies make far more expensive products the elite audiophiles think you are a possuer if you mention those names as elite gear, b/c you are really supposed to know far more exclusive brands to be "cool" it is really a pretty lame scene and gets old real fast.

20. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is fairly shallow for people that have low end B&W stuff to say B&W is the best stuff out there .....JUST as it is for people who have speakers that cost 6 figures saying "b&w is junk" and they don't make anything that sounds good.