What's new

Are my speakers too close? (1 Viewer)

rick bie

Stunt Coordinator
I presently have a 36" tv with a 5 speaker setup, due to my room layout my tv is in the corner with the main speakers to the immediate left and right within a foot of the tv. I am not positive if the speakers are shielded and I just want to know if I could be damaging my tv with them so close. I do not see any visual effect present on the screen at this time, the speakers have 8" woofers and slightly smaller midranges with tweeters.

Thanks,
Rick

Larry B

Screenwriter
Rick:
I will defer to someone else regarding damage to your TV. However, I will add that your speakers are FAR too close from the perspective of soundstaging and imaging.
Larry

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
I have a similar setup. I actually had my speakers on the outer sides of my setup (see the link in my signature). I went through the avia setup and moved my speakers to look like this. I find that the sound is much better now that my speakers are closer.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Dave:

Your speakers are not only too close to one another, they are also too close to the front of the TV (i.e., they need to be pulled farther out into the room). The effect will be dramatic.

Larry

Larry B

Screenwriter
Dave:

Your speakers are not only too close to one another, they are also too close to the front of the TV (i.e., they need to be pulled farther out into the room). The effect will be dramatic.

Larry

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I am not positive if the speakers are shielded and I just want to know if I could be damaging my tv with them so close.
You answered your own question when you wrote ...

"I do not see any visual effect present on the screen at this time, ..."

If your speaker was not magnetically shielded, then placing them too close to your 36" TV would produce a visible, & obvious rainbow color distortions in the viewable picture.

Hope this helps,
Phil

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll second that comment, especially since there is apparently room to move them farther apart.

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, it looks too close to the tv and much to the sides. When I moved my speakers towards the listener, the soundstaging improved, I also moved it farther apart since it has a better effect when watching DVDs.

Also, is that the sub at the left? Doesn't your CD's shake and rattle? :)

Myki

BenK

Stunt Coordinator
For home theater what is the recommended distance for the main speakers in relation to where you sit? I sit about 8 feet from my 56" tv with my main speakers about 10 feet apart even with the front of the tv and center speaker angled in. Should the mains be pulled closer to match the distance from the main viewing area to the center speaker?

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm somewhat limited to how far from the walls I can move my speakers. The room isn't very wide(13' from wall to wall) with my seating 8' from the screen. Plus, there's a futon on the left wall. If the speakers were out any farther, anyone sitting on the futon wouldn't be able to see.
In the picture, you can see both walls (sub right against one, and the rack against the other). So I don't have a lot of flexability there either. I'm still working on it though :)
This setup is only temporary until I get enough cash for my own place again. Having a roommate kinda sucks for doing whatever you want to your HT.
I think the sound improved partially because I went through the audio calibration on the avia disk. Not just because I moved them away from the side walls. The sound is just more crisp. I haven't watched a whole movie yet though. I'm sure I won't like something, so I'll end up moving them again. I'm waiting for Mirage to send me some screws so I can use the feet for my speakers. Odds are I'll move them again as soon as I get those on. Everytime I try to move them with the rubber feet on, they fall off. The rubber sticks to the floor, so the feet stick to that, not the speaker. It sucks.
I plan on getting a projector within the next year. That will free up a few feet that the tv takes up. That should give me the flexability to move the speakers away from the wall even further. I know, especially with the speakers I have, that being away from the walls will improve the sound instantly. I just need more time to do it :)
And believe it or not, the CDs don't rattle. That was my big concern when putting them on my sub. It's front firing, so that might help a bit?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rule of thumb: Roughly the same distance apart as you are away from them. I would pull them slightly closer than 10'. My front grills are 1' in front of my screen, and I sit about 7 1/2' back.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Figure 6 said:
If your priority is HT, ... using 45-degrees angle recommendation, the distance should be approx. 6' - 7 1/2" apart.
For Music priority, ... using 60-degree angle recommendation, the distance = 9' - 2 7/8" apart.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks