Are my Reciever and Speakers Properly Matched?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattWaldschmidt, Aug 19, 2002.

1. MattWaldschmidt

MattWaldschmidt Auditioning

I have purchased Nothing yet..

I am looking into buying a Yamaha HTR-5560 A/V Reciever since I will later be adding a Projector, so I need the Component Video I/O's.

My question is, will the 75W x 6 channels be enough power for this speaker setup:

(1) S-CenterII @ 150W
    (4) S-38II for Front & Rear Surround @ 175W ea

This would be my ideal setup for now and I will add a Sub later (hopefully an SVS). I am thinking of the PB-12 also since it has a good price of $250 which is half that of the SVS.

Will the Yamaha HTR-5560 have enough Power to drive these speakers?
    Or should I buy the Yamaha RX-V1300?

I would like to be able to save the $240 price difference between these two Recievers for getting a Sub later.

Also, I plan to use this system for my Home Theater for DVD's and Movies FIRST and Music 2nd. So, that is why I have chosen the (4) Identical Bookshelves for Front and Rear Surround instead of Front Towers and Rear Bookshelves.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    First off, welcome to the forum Matt. Here is your quote...

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Just to clear up, the 5560 is 80Wx6, not 75. For the price range you're looking at receiver wise, you might want to look at the Pioneer VSX-D811S. It's 100x6 w/ the ability to do a 7.1 setup for dual rear surrounds. It also has video switching (Composite, S-Video, and Component), and is very similar to the yamaha you're looking at. It is also around $100 cheaper, and is not nearly as bright sounding at the yamaha would be.

4. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Whatever you do, whether it is 60w, 75w, 80w, or 100w, is to make sure it is a "clean" power amp. You usually can easily check this by checking the performance specs: if the receiver can only produce 100x6w @ 1000Hz, then it cannot cleanly drive your speakers at clean power across the entire frequency range. I've heard clean 60w amps that easily blew away mass-market 100w multichannel receivers, since in many cases they may only produce 25-30w when thrown a particular frequency.

Rich

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The maximum power handling of the speakers is completely irrelevant, but there is a point at which you may not have enough power. Yamaha tends to have good amp sections, so I don't think it will be an issue unless you will be listening at very elevated levels.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

7. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Matt,

I think you will have a very good setup once you add the SVS, but the only thing that I would change is reciever, as stephen said, maybe you should check Pioneer 811 or DENON 1803.

One other thing, the S38 are a very good speaker, but they are heavy and no design to be hang, so you should check them out before buying.

8. MattWaldschmidt

MattWaldschmidt Auditioning

First of all, I meant that I need COMPONENT video I/O's and know that they are the best input since they take the signal from the source (DVD player, etc) and give it to the Output device (Projector) in Red / Green / Blue signals which is what the 3 LCD's (RGB) will then output onto the Screen giving the cleanest, best possible output.
    Now, as far as Sub goes I agree with all that the SVS $500 sub would kick the snot out of the JBL PB12 but I wasn't sure by how much. I am now convinced that the SVS 25-30i or whatever the model # is is the Sub I will buy for my system.
    Reciever: I have been doing lots of research and reading the posts on this site on this one. I thought Yamaha 5560 was the one I wanted until I read here that the Yamaha 5560 was tested along with the Pioneer 811 with all 6channels running, by an independent lab, and it showed that the Yamaha 5560 put out 27w continuous and the Pioneer 811 put out 75w.
    Therefore, I think that the Pioneer 811 is the Reciever I will buy since it has all the same features as the Yamaha 5560 and costs around $300 (about $100 less than the Yamaha).
    The Pioneer will give me 75w Continuous power over 6channels. Thus, taking half of each speakers Rated Power gives me 75-87.5W needed to push the JBL Studio Series speakers that I plan to run in my System.
    So, now my system would be as follows:
    Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D811S Reciever ($300)
    Front Center: (1) JBL S-Center II ($141)
    Front & Rear
    Surrounds: (4) JBL S-38 II ($275/pair)
    Total = $991 (S&H is about $100)
    Rear Center and Powered Sub will be purchased later since I only have about $1000 to spend right now.
    Rear Center: (1) JBL S-Center II ($141)
    Sub: (1) SVS 25-31PCi ($500)
    Projector: Sanyo PLV-70HT (2200Lumens, 900:1 Contrast Ratio, Component Video / Computer / S-video / Composite video connections, WXGA Resolution(1366x768), Accepts HDTV signals ($5500)
    The projector will allow true Home Theater capabilities so I can use my PC, PS2, DishNetwork, Progressive Scan DVD to view any Video source at a 40" up to 300" screen. I plan to have a screen size of 90"W x 50"H Widescreen. That's 103" diagonal.
    I read an ad that said "You measure your Screen in Inches, how cute.." I thought that was pretty good.
    They are real expensive now but in a few months should be in my price range. That is why I am looking so hard into A/V Equipment because I will need AWESOME stuff to give me the true Home Theater experience.
    I am most interested in Movies over Music and will be sitting about 11' from the Screen. This should give a good idea of what the "Big Picture" is for what I intend this system for.[​IMG]

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I will edit your initial post to reflect the component, otherwise others may chime in with the same suggestions I already made.