Are my old Klipsch speakers still useable ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David.O, Feb 7, 2004.

1. David.O

David.O Auditioning

I'm in the process of upgrading my current audio/video setup to be more home theater friendly and I'm trying to work out which components I can salvage. I'm replacing my receiver with a new Yamaha RX-V1400 and am going through the HDTV debate i.e. rear projection v/s DLP v/s LCD v/s plasma (of course depends on when you "have" to have it and how much $$ you can afford).

The speakers on my current system are a pair of Klipsch KM-6 speakers plus a Klipsch KV-2 center channel. I need to purchase some rear speakers to complete the 5 channels. I know that Klipsch are good value for $$ so can't see the point in getting rid of the existing ones if I don't have to.

I also need to consider the rear speakers. My living room was pre-wired for 2 front and 2 rear speakers in the ceiling. If I keep my existing floor speakers for the front I was considering some ceiling mounted rear speakers.

So my questions are:

1. Are the existing Klipsch speakers still useable ?
    2. Is it advisable to have 2 floor standing speakers for the front and ceiling mounted for the rear ?
    3. If ceiling speakers are O'K do you have any suggestions ? I was looking at B&W CCM65's (with adjustable tweeter) but thinking it may be better to stay 100% Klipsch.
    4. If ceiling speakers are not advisable what current model Klipsch would go well with my other Klipschs ?
    5. Any suggestions for a subwoofer that would go well with this type of setup ?

A lot of questions I know but I'm finding it hard to decipher differing opinions from sales people in home theater stores !

Thanks

Dave.O

2. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

To answer your questions:

1. Yes
    2. Not a problem
    3. They are OK. If you plan on listening to any multi-channel audio stay with the same line. If all HT then it really doesn't matter too much.
    4. See answer 3. [​IMG] Not sure what model matches your current ones, you may need to ask a dealer on that one. (Again if only HT, it isn't a big deal).
    5. How big is your room in cubic feet? No need to match subs to the rest of your system so there are lots of options.

Hope these answers help some.

3. David.O

David.O Auditioning

Thanks for the replies - that helps out a lot.

The room itself is 16' x 20' but one of the longer sides opens up into the kitchen/breakfast area that has an approx area of 10' x 20'. Also 10' ceilings so lots of opportunity for the sound to "disappear". Obviously not an ideal HT setup !

Thanks again

Dave.O.

4. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

So you will want descent sub.

A few to look at would be Velodyne, SVS, HSU, Adire, just to name a few. Many of the subs out there would probably work well for you.

You can email any of the online only sites with your room and listening habits and they can help you size up a sub.

5. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Stunt Coordinator

I have Klipsch Heresy's from 78 with a KV2 and it works pretty well. I use the KV1.2 for the surrounds and have been
    experimenting with another KV2 for the back surround.

I would go with the SVS,Hsu or maybe Velodyne for the sub.

I run an Onkyo TX-DS797B for the surround system and it has quite good sound. I have the surrounds mounted at 7' high and 2' behind the listening area. The rear KV2 is in my hutch behind the listening area.

I run the front KV2 in an armoire mounted fairly high up angled down to the couch.This provides fairly wide dispersion with the surrounds. I have tried a lower placement and it just does not work as well, less spacious sounding.

You can get the IC-150 from Klipsch on E-bay fairly cheap for the surround speakers. A friend of mine used 3 of these for the front 3 channels and it sounds pretty good, and used 2 for the surround channels. Hope this helps.Cheers.