What's new

Are my ears playing tricks on me? (1 Viewer)

Shad R

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine brought over his PS3 the tonight and we watched Die Hard With a Vengance. My reciever is a Denon 2805 with Klipsch reference speakers. I was using the optical out. The Blu-ray's setting was on DTS MAHD. I swear I heard a difference even though it wasn't hooked up through HDMI. Everything sounded better! My subs absolutely CAME ALIVE and I heard bass I've never heard from them before! I thought this was all in my head until a friend said "Wow, the audio is amazing." I know I wasn't getting the uncompressed audio, but why did it sound so much better? I own the DVD and have seen it several times, but never did it sound this good. What gives?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
The key question is what are you comparing this against? SD DVD? Even the DTS HD MA audio 'core', which is 1.5 Mbps, is a significant improvement over your typical SD DVD audio track.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Yes, I'm comparing it to the DVD audio. I guess I was under the impression that it was just sending out the plain old DTS audio, comparable to the DVD audio. Thanks.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
No tricks, Shad.

Although the HT enthusiast focus tends to be on DTS HD MA and Dolby TruHD (which should clearly sound better than DVD), even the "humble" Dolby Digital Plus that is present on many HD discs represents, to my ears, a clearly audible improvement on standard DD5.1 from DVD SD.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

Well, actually, you are right. It is "plain old" DTS audio. When DTS was first out on dvd it was also at the 1.5mbps datarate as it is on the HiDef formats. Later on, studios decided to use the half datarate version and that is what we get on dvd most of the time. DTS-MA has the "core" DTS (plain old DTS) in 1.5mbps so it will still sound better. Although, there are some 1.5 DTS dvds out there. I know I have a few.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

They're all discs that DTS did themselves before they farmed out their decoders to the studios. One I can recall that I have is a 2 disc set of Dances With Wolves. I think all thes DTS produced titles were from '98 and maybe part of '99. It was a brief window. There are some Japanese DVD's with 1.5 DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks