What's new

Are movie geeks (us) just too fussy these days? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I think it might seem that people bitch more, but it may be due to the internet- the technology just allows us to communicate with more whiners. That doesn't mean that there are more of them, just that they can whine to more people now.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
The intense interest in opening weekend stats and the media's eagerness to make film openings into sporting events naturally lead the studios to play the game competitively. The backlash they always get is what they deserve for making the marketing a higher priority than quality.

Apparently they feel they are getting what they pay for, but I believe that quality sells better than anything given reasonable marketing support. I don't want production budgets to go down, but I think at this point that much of a film's marketing budget is going to fund the backlash.

Now that CGI is common, and it will be difficult to create something significantly more visually impressive than, for instance, the Matrix trilogy, returns will diminish on the opening weekend push for weak movies. The public has to be developing a tolerance, and although Hollywood is trying to keep up, eventually it just won't be financially intelligent to try. And, studios will realize that hype is a game that can't be won, and doesn't deserve to be won, online (not that they really care).

I think this is already leading to better movies than we saw in 2000-2002. The "event" mentality had to get worse before it got better, and those three years were pretty terrible overall. And as this happens there won't be as many targets asking to be deflated.

So although I've actually liked several of the event films of the past few years -- probably a higher percentage than of all releases together -- I think the complaints are justified. If anything, those complaining should be moving on, as several have suggested, rather than repeatedly trumpeting the fact that they are suckers.

I too see fantastic films all the time; they just aren't the ones on 4000 screens.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The intense interest in opening weekend stats and the media's eagerness to make film openings into sporting events naturally lead the studios to play the game competitively. The backlash they always get is what they deserve for making the marketing a higher priority than quality.
Yeah, I think the hype machine hurts the WOW factor more than anything. It just happens way too often that the hype is far greater than the film is able to live up to, therefore is bound to disappoint, no matter what the merits of the film.

That's why it is nice to see little gems like "Equilibrium", which probably didn't get what they deserved, but didn't drive us nuts with expectation.

Jason

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Now that CGI is common, and it will be difficult to create something significantly more visually impressive than, for instance, the Matrix trilogy, returns will diminish on the opening weekend push for weak movies. The public has to be developing a tolerance, and although Hollywood is trying to keep up, eventually it just won't be financially intelligent to try. And, studios will realize that hype is a game that can't be won, and doesn't deserve to be won, online (not that they really care).
But aren't ticket sales increasing? I seem to be hearing about box office returns that break records every other weekend. Titanic, Star Wars, Spiderman, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings- I think they all broke some records in ticket sales and money earned.

So it seems to me that movie studios will just keep trying to make the Big One, the Titanic sized monster that'll turn the big profit.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The majority of Hollywood films today don't entertain me because they don't cater to people over 35, they are aimed for the teenage & young adult audience. I do remember a time when Hollywood films did entertain me more, but that's almost 30 years ago, when the majority of films were geared towards an older audience. That's why I seek out independent & foreign films which will satisfy the need in me for intelligent & mature films.

Now when it comes to Hollywood popcorn films, I don't think they have changed much in 30 years. I find films such as The Matrix & LOTR to be as entertaining as any film Hollywood has put out in my lifetime.

P.S. I have the same opinion of Star Wars today as I did when I was 12 - somewhat boring

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I simply strive to maintain my "childlike wonder" at movie spectacles while still allowing myself to watch the film as an experienced (and yes, a little jaded) adult.

I've fielded a few bizarre emails that call me a moron for admiring the Matrix sequels. I've been called an outright moron for recommending Armageddon and Deep Rising. I get infuriated and frustrated with movies like Bringing Down the House and Bad Boys 2. I still get giddy with anticipation for Return of the King and Hellboy and Shrek 2.

I am fussy, but my love for movies will always win out. I only get truly pissy when I sense that a film was cobbled together by formula with no thought or care for the audience as a collective with some intelligence. When laziness or overt manipulation or apathy is evident throughout a movie.

I love that I can enjoy a movie like The Hours, which I was certain was NOT "my kind of movie". I'm thrilled that something as "not me" as Moulin Rouge ends up as one of my favorite movies in 31 years. I get annoyed by the "dreary prestige" flicks like In the Cut and The Human Stain and the "simpering masturbation" that is Beyond Borders or Gigli.

I feel like dancing when someone says "Hey, thanks for the tip. May was awesome. Session 9 was, too." I gladly admit I was wrong when something like Pirates of the Caribbean or (to a smaller degree) Freaky Friday proves my cynicism wrong by delivering a high-quality flick.

I certainly have grown a lot more cynical over the years, but if it's a battle between Grown-Up Cynicism and Passionate Movie Love...

Guess which one wins every time?

Thanks for the opportunity to ramble all free-form and what-not. It was fun.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I am fussy
You? Then why do you give everything

****1/2 out of ***** ? :D

I tend to be a bit of a cynic. That is because I have been let down quite a bit too by the hyperactive mainstream. Although, I spend more of my cash at theaters on smaller films, an occassional "blockbuster" will slip through the cracks and suprise me. That would have been the reverse ten years ago. I believe it has come with age.

Where as you hear more people refer to an independent/foreign film as a "hidden gem" or a one "that slipped through the cracks." It is the opposite for me.
Some Suprises:
May
Ginger Snaps
Dog Soldiers
Amelie

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I still get butterflies when the lights go down and the reel starts to click. I still get excited over trailers, even though my mind tells me “It’s just a trailer…it means nothing!” And, I can still be blown away – “City of God” still lingers in my mind (when does it come out on video??).

But, the older and more knowledgeable one becomes, the more critical the film eye. That is, if you’re a real film buff. It’s inevitable. That’s ok! Look at it this way – the ones that DO stick with you will be all the more valuable to you.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Then there are those movies you'll always be critical of. I mean what did Paris Hilt.....

Oops, wrong discussion. :)

I think the greatest sense of maturing came from a story my older brother related to me. He and his friends loved the movie Breakin' when they were little kids. Needless to say, they didn't think much of it when they rented it on video during their college years.

Stephen_Dar

Stunt Coordinator
I think film does change as the years go by. Consider some basic big-picture trends. Attendance at films has basically been declining since they were invented. In the early part of the 20th century, attendance at cinemas in the US amounted to something like 85% of the public weekly seeing at least 1 movie. Now that's down to something like 20% weekly. Basically, TV and the wearing off of the novelty have cut into attendance. As others have pointed out, ticket prices have risen greatly, and if you read the stories about "this blockbuster breaks all box office records" carefully you'll see they usually mention that actual attendance at the film wasn't a new record and didn't match many older, classic films. I don't have all the stats on this stuff, any film pros out there who do?

Also, I think there has been increasing concentration of global movie making money in the hands of a few compared with 50 years ago and 50 years before that. In that environment, it's hardly fair to say that we get diverse film offerings today like we once did (not that it was ever perfect).

In a recent interview, John Boorman laid it all out. Here's a quote:

Certain basic elements are required to manufacture one of these [blockbusters]: an A-list star ($20m) who will lend the picture instant recognition; spectacle and action, but no real violence or sexuality since the film has to achieve a PG rating (an R rating cuts the take by 30%); digital effects where the bar is raised with every picture. Industrial Light and Magic needed $40m to make the creature in Hulk.

Note in particular the importance of stars and suits in the decision making process. Stars are basically models without much brains and with lots of vanity. These are the people who have been greenlighting movies for the past 15 years. Can you wonder why they suck so bad?

The light at the end of the tunnel for me may just be the deal that Peter Jackson just got for his next films, an unprecedented $20 mil and control over the project. My hope is, the rings trilogy could start to signal a shift of film control out of the hands of clueless investors and stars and back into a shared coalition in which the directors in particular will have more say. I suspect that's the route to better movies in the 21st century.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think it might seem that people bitch more, but it may be due to the internet- the technology just allows us to communicate with more whiners. That doesn't mean that there are more of them, just that they can whine to more people now.
Now this is definitely a big part of it.

Film interest and cinephile numbers are up, primarily due to the boom in home theater as well as online discussion forums. Even resources like IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, Box Office Mojo and Upcoming Movies have a significant effect on film discussion and interest simply by making the info more accessible to be discussed.

Compare with just 15 years ago when all of us would be hanging off the word from Fangora or TV Guide for our film news and the only circle for serious feedback and discussion was the letters to the editor of those magazines.

Technology has had a huge impact on cinema, and despite what studios say a big part of the impact is positive.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
So many complain about virtually every movie that comes out these days. Saying "The Prequels suck and Episode 3 will suck!", "Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions suck!", "The Hulk sucks!" and concluding with "It's no Empire Strikes Back!"
I don't think that prequels suck or even some Big Hollywood blockbusters all suck its just that too many or empty story wise and rely way too much on Special Effects and not enough on Characters to keep you interested. Thats why I didn't like the last two Star Wars movies. There was no emotional core to the movie and the characters weren't even interesting like in there Predecessors.Same with Matrix Reloaded which has kept me away from Reloaded.
On the other hand, I liked Hulk because it had more of a story which seemed to scare people away. It was different and didn't fit into the cookie cutter Hollywood Comic book movie and had more brains to it than say Daredevil which I thought stunk!
Every year we get more mindless Action movies like XXX and Fast and the Furious playing on 4 screens each of the multiplexes and small little movies like say Whale Rider or Winged Migration are ignored and it's only getting worse.

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think there is any one thing that can be blamed for the "movie geeks" bitching. I think it is more of a combination of 4 seperate things.
Thing number one being awareness. i.e the bitching hasn't increased, we are just now, thanks to forums and the likes more aware of the bitching.

The next three items I believe are the causes for the bitching.

1. Saturation: Movies aren't like pizza or sex where even when bad its good (what movie was that). Its not as consistent as banging your little tow on the foot of your bed. You watch enough movies and its just going to wear itself out. You saw your fist movie or so and loved the experience. As a result you started seeing more and more, to the point where you go to the theater an average of once a week, rent 3 or 4 a week from blockbuster, keep your netflix flowing, are a member of columbia house under 3 names, and spend you luch break every Tuesday catching the new relaeses. You've just plain overdone it to the point that if 95% of everything is shit and you watched 1000 movies.....

2. You could just be a SNOB (Insert fake snobby voice) " I know that the general public Loved this movie, everyone around me was entertained and happy, no one felt like they got robbed, but THEY ARE ALL IDIOTS. I (dramatic pause) am not like those foolish sheep getting duped into seeing such DREK and filth. This (insert some obscure independent flick) was a much better movie; it had such a profound effect on my life. To bad the rest of you couldn't be as enlightened as myself or the 3 other people who saw this movie". Some people just won't have a taste for the "blockbuster flicks" but I think there are people who trash things simply to feel superior. Its a combination of "If its big I must hate it" and "See how better I am than the average". Now I'm not saying anyone complaining about movies fits into this category but I dod think there is people like this out there.

and

3. Allot of movies are Just Bad There is alot of thruth to the "formula movie". Hey if the buddy flick worked 50 other time why not just one more...Honestly though its nothing new. You had Ahnuld and Sly shooting everthing in sight Rambo (1-3), Commando, Raw Deal, Cobra, Predator... or Van Damme and Steven Segal Beating up everyhting in sigt Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Undersiege, Undersiege 2, Out for Justice, Hard to Kill (harder to watch)....Mixed in some buddy flicks Lethal Weapons, Bad Boys, Tango and Cash...Or the Natural Disasters, Volcano, Earthquake, Deep Impact, Armageddon (I LIKE IT, HAVE THE CRITERION), ...Hell just dig deeper. yOu think there wasn't people saying "oh great another Western" or " Oh great Another Gangster Flick".

Well for what its worth, sorry about my lowzy sbelung.

Shane

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of fussy, do you ever find yourself attracted to a movie that you know is going to be a disaster, but something about it gurantees that you will have a prime seat for it? I ask this cuz there is a movie opening next month that I know will be bad, really bad, but there is an actress in it that I like so much I am being drawn into the black hole of its apparent suckitude. I'm not alone am I?
Which movie is this? Out of curiosity.

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator

Oh Jessica Alba...There was a girl in my developer class who looked just like her. What a fine day that was when she showd me her modeling portfolio...witht the more adult pictures (playboyish).

Sorry for getting off track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks