What's new

Are Motion Menus A Thing Of The Past? (1 Viewer)

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I've bought Panic Room but not checked it out yet. Nice to know I have annoying menus to play with:)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I usually hate animated menus, the exception to that being House of 1000 Corpses. Captain Spaulding was hilarious on those.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't care if menus were just plain text screens because I hate animated intros and transitions. Waste of bits, waste of time.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I consider Criterion's Black Narcissis the perfect menu: just one glorious still shot with the menu options listed below.

Clean, simple, classy.

It seems most everyone forgot the K.I.S.S priciple when it came to DVD menus: "Keep It Simple Sweetie."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the menus on peter pan seem like they will never end.
i just hit the skip >>| button and it goes to the end of the menu stuff.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I agree with those who hope they are on their way out. Like Ravi said, a waste of bits and a waste of time.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I favor subtle animation if at all. And I'm well tired with stupid transition animations, like zooming into a black hole or filling the screen with an explosion before the film starts.

However, the dumbest thing I can think of is having transitions when you select the chapters! On the Star Wars discs, you go from one set of chapters, through an animation to get to - another set of chapters! Why the hell don't the next bunch simply replace the first ones on the same screen!

The original X-Men I recall was similarly time-wasting.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Two good examples (in my eyes) are the Bond discs (except that you have to activate the menu) and the new release of Alice in Wonderland. Just the right amount of motion/action in both.

The only one I have that makes me say "enough already" is The Lion King. I don't think I've ever let the entire menu run before I hit the button.

-Reagan

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
exactly what I was going to say James. I don't mind the animation at all on the unrated Van Wilder menus. In fact, it would be nice to be able to play them in a loop.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Animated menus are great - as long as they also allow the user to press the chapter forward button to skip it, as many DVDs with animated menus do. It is the forced animated menus that can be quite annoying - just like forced trailers only worse as you can't fast forward through the animation.

Actually are there any DVDs with animated menus that do not allow you to skip past the animation? I personally can't think of any that I own that wont allow skipping, but then again it hasn't bothered me enough to make a note of it.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Nils, oh yes there are. I can being tracking them, but I know I often press Chapter Skip and get the message that it's not allowed on that DVD.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Nils, SIX FEET UNDER Season 1, just for starters. A very long menu process until you can finally select Episode Index.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
I like the live menu that repeats itself on "Saturday Night Fever"! Most the forced trailers are a pain in the arse, IMO. One of posters said "they're cool the first time" but then that cool IMO turns to hot for not allowing us to skip it, and view what we paid for!:angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks