What's new

Are more movies 2.35:1? If so, why? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I read something like the too, but the irony is that with DVD pretty much all major motion pictures are available in their OAR. You would think that Directors could use a true scope process more often since the Widescreen version would almost certainly be made available on DVD, but anamorphic filmmaking is becoming a thing of the past. Now I know that there are more technical reasons that Super35 is used and that it's not just about an eventual 1.33:1 presentation, but I'm sure it definately a factor some of the time.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
So what's the reason for so many new theaters having top/bottom masking for scope then, so they play on a SMALLER screen that 1.85?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams

Ummmm, do you watch TV (4x3). Most shows (from sitcoms to the news) show people from the waist up. You do not see there full figure the majority of the time. It is called a medium close up or close up shot. It has nothing to do with aspect ratio and everything to do with the way the director chose to frame the shot. These type of shots have been around since the advent of motion pictures. It would not look right to see full figures of actors all the time. Movie are not real life so why are we comparing them to the way you see in real life. Makes no sense.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
[pure speculation]

They don't want seats actually to the side of the screen when the curtains are drawn in for a 1.85:1 movie

OR

Stadium seating requires more vertical room anyway, so the architects are trying to use as much of the opposite wall as possible, while also cramming 15 screens into the same building.

[/pure speculation]

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It's funny that speilberg is so against Pan&scanning, but I think almost every single dvd release of his movies has a p&S counterpart...

Seems to me like he'd have the power to keep that from happing. It also seems to me like he's more interested in pulling in the most $$$ from these releases...

WillG

Senior HTF Member

You don't need P&S to make money on DVD. Pirates of the Carribbean is WS only and it seems like it's selling pretty good to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks