Are Monster Cables really worth the $$$ ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean L, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

I am ready to purchase all the cabling for my upcoming Denon/KEF Sound System.....I just got back from the local Good Guys! and priced out all the cabling I need. All I can say is OUCH!

The Monster Cables seem to be very pricey for my $2500 HT setup, I can see it easily reaching $300 for all the interconnects and speaker wire.

Are these cables really worth $50-$80 each?

How does Acoustic Research compare to Monster?

Are there any great places online to buy decent quality cables at heavily discounted prices?

Thanks,
    Sean in Nor Cal

2. Jonathan K

Jonathan K Stunt Coordinator

Well, are you having problems with generic cables yet? If not, than keep generics. If you have maybe a $10,000 system, or if you are having problems with generics, than the "high end" ones would work...

3. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Sean,

Hold off for now on the Monster.
    Figure out what you need in terms of IC's and speaker wire, and even Optical/digital coax.

Mods, please move this to tweaks..... as there is the more appropriate forum for specific alternative to save Sean a few dollars.

Hold on Sean........ beam me up.........

BOK

4. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

hey sean
    i was in the same boat as you recently. i just purchased my surround system last month and needed cables. i've learned a lot from being a member at the following site (sorry i couldn't get the link to here). go to the address below and check under "files" and also under "links" there's a lot of good info. you may also want to try audioreview.com for cable reviews.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/
    (p.s. you may have to register, but there's no fee, etc. just a great sony hdtv egroup)
    i purchased the pro series cables online from accessories4less.com and was very pleased with the service and especially happy with the cables. this place was almost 50% cheaper than anyone else, and a lot cheaper than monster cables. after talking with others who had purchased there, they were also happy.
    basically from what i've read and heard, monster is overpriced and unnecessary. sorry to all the monster fans out there, i'm one myself. when considering the cost difference to any video and audio quality differences, i can't tell the difference...i'm VERY happy with the results! just my .01 worth...good luck! rick

5. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

sorry, forgot to mention that the pro series cables were acoustic research brand cables...rick

6. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Rick, you are fast.

Still, beam me up.

Well, actually, that is a great place to start, as accessories4less.com is a nice company to deal with, and offers excellent pricing.

Good Luck,

BOK

7. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

monster cable is only two notches above the dreaded "b" word in terms of marketing....selling you $5 worth of cable and $75 worth of snake oil.....

i sure wish i had bought monster cable stock when they first started out....

and here's the latest kicker...you can buy a $90 monster cable dryer cord at best buy!!!!...yes folks!...that's right a $90 power cord for your dryer!!!!!....

now, it get's even better...i work at the electronics distributor that is suppling the raw cable to monster cable for this cord...less than $3 in cable....

can we say markup?...can we say ultimate ripoff?...or should we say marketing savey approaching that of bose?????

"there's a sucker born every minute"....p.t. barnum

8. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Ripoff????!!!!

Well, that $90.00 dryer cord is worth it. Sure $3.00 for the distributor. But add the spintronics cable weaving system, heat ablative cooling cable jacket (NASA approved for heavy duty use), pure weave flow non-oxygenated non-altruistic copper, uni-bi directional electron flow adjustments, and you'll get payback very quickly from your investment.

Consider: instead of rotating in one direction, the dryer rotates in alternating directions (the uni-bi directional cables - quite in the avant garde in some circles I might add). This tosses the clothes better, and they dry on average 38% faster.

And since the cable is so good (esp the non-altruistic part), almost all the electricity is directed to the consumption unit, in this case the dryer. Hence, for electricity savings, add in another 11-12%. Also, many insurance companies will discount for Monster cable b/c it heats less (by more pure transfer of the electrons) and causes less house fires. I mean, check it out, most cases of spontaneous house combustion are actually dryer cable inflammation.

So really, weigh the issues yourself. Do a DBT on dryer cables. You'll see. More savings, less fire.

Dan

9. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

SO...just to play the devil's advocate role.

Are the wires one gets from bettercables.com better than Monster? Or is bettercables.com another "ultimate ripoff"?

10. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

If spending $1000.00 or more on cabling puts you into the
    "Audio/VideoPhile" category than I guess I am just a plain
    ol enthusiast because I don't believe in hocus pokus..

I believe if a cable is well built it will work and the
    name on the cable means little to nothing.

Yes I have some Monster Video1 Cables, Yes I also have AR
    Cables and yes I even have RCA brand RCA Patch Cords..

Did I notice a difference between my Monster Video1 S-Vid
    and running 3 RCA brand audio RCA Patch Cords as a "Component
    Video" cable? The answer is a resounding no...

AR makes great cables, even the cheapest (Performance Series)
    is a great budget cable.. The Pro Series is better and the
    Master Series is the best (getting into Monster pricing though).

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I've seen AR's new Pro Series II cables at Sears. Very reasonably priced. Check them out.
    By the way, Radio Shack has a new series of audio/video cables called "Fusion AV". They look to be very well-build and carry a lifetime warranty.
    [​IMG]
    Check them out here.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the only answer is to get those cables home and see for yourself.

i tested three levels of cabling (stock, rat-shack, and monster).

i did a very unscientific a/b comparison using my dvd's dual audio output and the dvd/tape-mon inputs on my receiver.

i noticed a difference between the stock and rat-shack. but no difference between the rat-shack and monster.

so i say (from personal experience) that a quality cable can make a difference, but there is a diminishing point of return.

i highly recommend you do something similar and see for yourself. if you notice a difference, then the choice is obvious.

13. Laszlo

Laszlo Stunt Coordinator

One big bump for Accessories4less, they have really good costumer support and they ship really fast.
    Monster cables?
    How come a video cable for component output can cost almost more than the DVD player itself. I don't buy that.
    AR pro series is great for the price and really good quality.

Laszlo

14. Barry BB

Barry BB Stunt Coordinator

Here is my humble suggestions for a cable and wire shopping list.

1. From partsexpress.com get Sound King speaker wire - 12ga 50 feet is 22.50, 100 feet is 35.90. If you want banana plugs try their Dayton Audio screw style plugs - 3.90/pair when you buy 10

2. From avcables.com get their PVC2 cables with Canare terminators for your component video needs. Reasonable prices and custom lengths available if you call them.

3. From accessories4less.com get the Acoustic Research Pro Series cables for your remaining needs such as Coax or Optical cable and any other audio or video cables that you may need for a VCR, cable TV, etc.

Unless you need really long cable runs you should be able to get all of your wires and cables for around $200, much less than Monster.

15. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

16. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

hmm for speakres just buy a roll of 12 guage wire really i havent noticed a differance in companys ..... IMO most of them you are just paying for name .... you can actualy buy rolls of sheilded cabling and then get the gold plated plugs at radio shack .... i dont know where tog et the cable though i'll talk to my uncle and ask him... heh make ur own hookups and so on for $100 and its equal in quality to somehting you pay like $1k for at a store heh

17. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

I took Barry BB's advice and ordered all my interconnects from Accessories for Less (A/R Pro Series) and my 12ga. speaker wire and banana connectors from Parts Express, total was $203.80 and that includes 2 day shipping so I will have all the stuff for the weekend.

Thanks for the advice!!!

18. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Sean,
    Ya did good..
    My Bi-Wires for my AR9's are made out of SoundKing 12Awg
    OFC and I have NO complaints..
    The wire is thick, the stranding is fine,the jacketing is
    good and the price is right... Sure beats paying $400.00
    for Monster Reference Z2...
    And if you really wanted to make them as fancy as Monsters
    cables you can buy those fancy Cable "Pants" that Monster
    uses from parts express and you can buy some WBT Spades
    ($14.00 each) which are far better than ANY connector Monster
    uses... And some nylon flex wrap and woolah, Botique cables
    for a Thrift Store price...
    That is if, pretty cabes make you happy [​IMG]

19. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

$90.00 for a dryer electrical cable? It better do more than just power the dryer for that price.

Having hit a the shopping circuit today, I ran across a lot of good priced cables that are available from your local Wal-Mart and Target stores:

6' optical digital cable by Philips/Maganavox. Appears to be of quite good quality. $7.95 at Wal-Mart.

6' component video cables by P/M. Again, good quality connectors, etc. $17.95 @ Wal-mart

6' component video cables by GE. Gold RCA ends, but the connectors don't appear to be made much better than the ends on the interconnect cables that come with standard DVD players. $9.99 @ Target.

12' component video cables. I don't recall the brand. Good quality connectors, cable, etc. $19.99 @ Target.

6' "S" video cable by GE. Gold-plated ends. $5.99 @ Target.

First, I'd avoid Monster cables. Second, I'd avoid purchasing my cables from Best Buy or Circuit City. They'll try to sell you the same cables that I've listed above, but under the names of other manufacturers for double the prices that I've posted.

20. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Ive fallen for the Monster cable trap,all my interconects,Svideo,and componant are monster,speaker wire........just good no name ,works great.Only thing on the s-video,ive learned to watch out for th ereal inexpensive type thats rather thin,had a couple internally break wires from a little too much movement from ,repositioning stuff etc.