What's new

Are Model Years Strict? (1 Viewer)

Scott Kush

Auditioning
I'm considering the purchase of a Pioneer Elite 720. I know they used to make a 710 (and 610, 510) and was wondering if we're nearing the end of a model year, or do they release new models only when there's a real technology change.

Mitsubishi actually has "2002-2003 Product" on their site.

Thanks

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It depends on the company, but many "model years" for TV sets start in the fall, so the new Mits sets will probably start appearing in the next couple of months and continue into 2003, hence the "2002-2003" designation.

Of course, cars are the same way, with some 2003 models out already.

KJP

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Pioneer Eilte tends to stick with a model for longer than typical TV manufacturers, but they have begun phasing the x20 model numbers, and the x30 models should be available within the next couple of months. It is likely that the new Elites will have a built-in HDTV decoder, but I can't say for sure what else might change. Don't know what the price will be on the 730, but you can bet it will be a sweet set.

Scott Kush

Auditioning
Great...Just when I thought I made a decision you tell me a new model may be coming out. So on a related topic, what are the advantages/disadvantages to a built in decoder vs. a box? I've been hesistant to get a built in considering HDTV is fairly scarce - why spend a grand or so when it will be cheaper and more useful in the future.

Thanks

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Regarding the built in decoder...

The built-in decoder will usually only work with over the air broadcasts... with an antenna.

Do you have Direct TV/ The Dish? Cable TV?

With the satellite companies, you will need their own decoder boxes. And, if you buy the more expensive HDTV decoder box (usually about $500+), these boxes will do both the satellite AND the over the air antenna. If this is the case, that built-in decoder on the set was probably a waste of money, in practical terms. If this is your case, then the answer may be easy.

If you do not have satellite, and you do not anticipate switching to satellite, then things get a bit more complicated, obviously. Do you want HDTV over the air right now? In the near future? Is it available yet in your market? (Mine has seven stations, but only in primetime.) An over the air HDTV set top box usually costs at LEAST $400, and goes up frome there. So, in such a case, would you spend the additional $100 to get a box which will do satellite AND over the air, in case you ever decide to sign up for the Direct TV or the Dish (which are probably about to merge, which might mean some changes in hardware [!])

And, Cable TV is yet another complication. Cable has been slower to introduce HDTV. Some have, though. Most have just promised to do this, in many markets, by January. But, your own cable company chooses the system, and the boxes which are compatible with THEIR particular system. So, this requires additional fact-finding and research on your part (which box do they use? Which might be compatible? Does this box only do cable, or does it also do over the air [Doubtful, but since most cable carries local stuff, do you need over the air? But what if they only carry HDTV on the national stuff at first? This is a gambler's crapshoot, here].)

Finally, those set top boxes (the HDTV decoders) are coming down in price. These HDTV set top boxes for satellite AND over the air, for example, cost $1000+ only 15 months ago. Now, they are $500. They may be down to $375 by next February, who knows?

Hope this helps, (Sorry to confuse, but I believe in honesty...Arrrg!)

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Scott Kush

Auditioning
As usual, thanks for the feedback guys. It's very helpful for a newbie like me.

Bruce, I have a satelite dish. It's a bit old and I need an upgrade anyhow ("doubly" dig sound - spinal tap anyone?) I guess this simplifies my decision.

Other than the built in decoder, I was wondering about other upgrades that an x30 would have. I guess there's always something on the horizon though, and I'll probably pull the trigger on an x20. Gotta see what'll fit.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks