What's new

Are Lead singers THAT important for a band's success? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Usually, the lead singer is the key element in a band's image. Most people when they hear Queen think of Freddie Mercure. Aerosmith- Steven Tyler. Led Zeppelin- Robert Plant.

It's nice to think that music is all that matters, but in rock 'n' roll, it's not. Image is also crucial, and the guy holding the microphone is The Image Guy.

Yes, Santana's singers weren't the focus, but that's because they were more of a "jam" band, where the focus was on Carlos and the percussionists. They are an exception.

Also, the singer is often the guy who writes a lot of the material, or at least the lyrics.

Rock music is a style which depends heavily on vocals. The melody and theme are expressed through the singer, and is usually what attracts listeners (I mean, let's face it, most rock bands sound pretty much the same).

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
As usual, Phil beat me to the punch and made exactly the point I was trying to make but did it better. Blaming Gary Cherone for VH's recent woes makes as much sense as blaming Peter Gabriel for Genesis not becoming a supergroup while he was there. What do you think the radio is more likely to play? "The Battle of Epping Forest" (Gabriel-era, 10 minutes long) or "Follow You Follow Me" (Collins era, 3 minutes)?

If the singer is often responsible for the songwriting, then why not say it's the songwriter who's important? After all, he's doing that, too. Nobody sees the lead singer on a CD. They hear a song. Sure, the lead singing is important, but the songwriting dwarfs it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks