What's new

Are Laser Discs still being made anywhere? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
This may seem like a dumb question, but I have recently got into laser discs (because of Star Wars), and have Star Wars definitive set, Star Wars Episode 1 (Japanese import), and wonder if there is any chance of a laser version of Episode 2 (I really have a collecting disease). Being that my Episode 1 is an import, are lasers still made in Japan?

Todd

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The "official" end of LD is June 2002- when the last pioneer players will be manufactured. I don't think, even in Japan, new releases have been put out on Laser during 2002 at all.

So, nope- don't expect an Episode 2 laserdisc.

-Vince

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
A while ago I read on alt.video.laserdisc that someone was trying to pump up enough interest to produce one more laser disc. He needed a certain number of orders to make it viable (I can't remember the exact number, but it was pretty low). The disc would be manufactured on Menomonie, WI, where they have been manufactured for years. I doubt he'll be successful, but you never know.

Might someone be still manufacturing discs for industrial use?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Paramount tried to keep their LD customers going at least through 2000. They solicited, but did not recieve enough orders to make viable a run of Sleepy Hollow, I remember that. I believe you need at least 500 discs to do a run of LDs.

The last Japanese LDs were pressed in early 2000. Once the PS2 hit, people dumped their LDs en masse.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Last Movie pressed was in September last year. I do think there are some LD's pressed for industries etc in japan.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
You can still get laserdsics pressed in the US. I used to have a link to one of the companies that does it, but I can't find it at the moment.

Apparently laserdiscs are still used in educational institutions, enough for various companies to still offer pressings. Now, I'm not sure if these companies could press full blown movies with DTS or AC-3 sound. I think primarily what they're pressing are CAV discs. I'll try to find the link again.

A major studio movie will never be released on laserdisc again, except maybe in Japan. Even there it's highly unlikely. However, I'd love to see a company like Synapse or Elite release a limited edition laserdisc. The people who dumped LD for DVD entirely are gone. But with the mainstream introduction of DVD, many people have been introduced to LD for the first time, realizing it is the only way to enjoy a variety of films from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and many more. Some of those people have invested in a player, and I bet they could easily do a limited edition 1,000 disc pressing and sell them all. Again, will this ever happen? Probably not. It would be nice to see though.

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that they still make them in Japan for Japanese anime, as laser disc is still a popular format in Japan.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I believe that they still make them in Japan for Japanese anime, as laser disc is still a popular format in Japan
Sorry but they don't do that! As I said before the last movie pressed on LD was in September an japanese movie I think. The last movie with english was The cell and 6th day.

I would also buy new LD's if they was for sale. Great box-set/gatefold cover with a great 16x9 transfer would be superb

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They stopped pressing new anime LDs a long time ago. Most places are blowing them out as of late.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The big thing was that DVD Players in Japan ran around $5-600 for entry level, so a PS2 that could play the latest games AND DVDs opened it up, especially in Japan's slump economy right now

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
"Paramount tried to keep their LD customers going at least through 2000. They solicited, but did not recieve enough orders to make viable a run of Sleepy Hollow, I remember that. I believe you need at least 500 discs to do a run of LDs."

For the record, Paramount did indeed received enough orders to press SLEEPY HOLLOW (I have a copy). They also released, ironically or prophetically, BRINGING OUT THE DEAD on LD. They solicited domestic orders for MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2, but it didn't happen.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
We'll soon see if anymore will be made in Japan. The highest grossing film in Japan's history, Spirited Away is being released on DVD this fall in Japan and would be a likely candidate for LD release in Japan. Even that seems unlikely though, but if there was any film it would be that one.
Jeff

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Japan is not pressing any more LDs. It's over, dead, finished. It's actually being released on DVD in June or July.

Unlike in the US, when Japan decides to dump something, they do so very quickly and en masse. LDs are getting very hard to find in the used shops because many stores are just chucking them from what I hear

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks