What's new

Are Kenwood's Component Video's HDTV capable? (1 Viewer)

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I think I am near a decision... I am looking into either the Kenwood VR-509, VR-510, or maybe concidering the Onkyo TX595...
Even though I DO NOT NEED component video @ this time... The only reason I am leaning away from the Onkyo is basicly because LACK OF component video...
I think the Onkyo is a great machine but to get component video you need to get the Onkyo 696... but definatly the price jumps...
Now do any of these amps component video offer HDTV support? I mean, if I get a HDTV in a year, and want to take advantage of Component switching... Will I be able to do this? Or are these component video inputs not HDTV ready?
Anyone know?
I auditioned the Jamo's I want on a Onkyo 595, and they sounded GREAT... But unfortunatly, lack of Kenwood to try with the speakers :frowning:... That really sucks...
Now if none of these recievers are HDTV ready I might just end up with the onkyo...
Thanks!
Bill

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Component swicthers can always pass a 480p or 720p progressive signal. But if you want to have no possible singal loss (just for quality purposes), make sure it can handle 120MHz of video bandwidth. The average user won't be able to tell a difference over the 2 so don't sweat over it. It's only really noticeable on big displays, such as big RPTVs or FPTVs.
I keep reading how the Denons do it with no problem, not sure on the newer models from other companies. I would assume they do too.
So just to reassure you, your new receiver, no matter what it will be, will be able to pass an HD signal thrugh its component connections. And just fyi, no receiver is "HDTV ready." :)

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just was wondering if the component video inputs do a good job in NOT loosing signal streingth...

Thanks!

Bill

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
For the Y channel of component video you theoretically need 14 MHz for 480p, 37 MHz for HDTV, can get away with 25 MHz for 1080i. The Pb and Pr channels need half of the Y bandwidth respectively.
You should have a little more than you need since the net bandwidth of two items of a given bandwidth connected together is a bit less.
You will have to check the specs and hope they are truthful.
Insufficient bandwidth shows up as softening due to reduced horizontal resolution. An HDTV picture is still all there and viewable. 720p is the first to suffer.
One thing you can try, take the Y from your DVD player and connect it to the Y (green) input of the receiver. Take the Y receiver output and connect it to the Pb receiver input. Connect the Pb output to the Pr input. Connect the Pr receiver output to the TV. Play your AVIA 200 TVL test pattern. If you get all 540 lines of horizontal resolution (in black and white) and are using progressive scan, there is an excellent chance the receiver will do HDTV. (If this test fails, nothing is proven about HDTV but go back to connecting up the component cables normally and seeing if it shows at least 540 lines of resolution at 480p.)
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
Crutchfield says(On a Add i got) the bandwidth on the VR510 component switcher is 10MHZ, should be the same for the 509.

Any time you break a conncection you will have loss. You may or may not see any difference depending on cable quality & the size of your screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks