Are Imax movies fullscreen when on dvd? re:Nascar Imax...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by todd s, Feb 3, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I just got the Nascar Imax dvd. It is a Walmart exclusive until March. Anyway, I haven't watched it yet. But, the dvd says Foolscreen and modified from its original format. Are Imax movies fullscreen?

2. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

I doubt it but considering this is Walmart selling something Nascar related in fullscreen seems spot on.[​IMG]

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The aspect ratio of most IMAX movies is basically 4X3, just a tiny bit wider, so the DVD really needn't have had the disclaimer it did.

The disclaimer SHOULD read: "This film has been modified from its original version. The IMAX and 3-D technologies used in theatrical release have not been retained for this DVD presentation."

Pretty misleading packaging, too, since they used a Lenticular 3-D cover on a DVD that is a flat, 2-D version. They really shouldn't use the IMAX in the title either; because all that's left is "NASCAR: THE EXPERIENCE" when you dump the IMAX and 3-D!

Some mainstream movies shown on IMAX screens (POLAR EXPRESS, etc) are letterboxed to allow for a wider ratio, but true IMAX films have a ratio of only about 1:40 to 1. T

The aspect ratio is about the only thing that the DVD has in common with the theatrical version.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Thanks for the info Steve. I was lucky enough to see the movie at an IMAX theater. It was very cool I have a front projector with a 100" diameter screen. So I will tell everyone to sit a foot from the screen to recreate the IMAX experience. [​IMG]

5. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Any reviews on this Wal Mark release as of yet? It seems just what I need cus I can't see 3d (one bad eye).

Is this walmart release the same as the March release?

Wes

6. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Steve, the aspect ratio of this and most other IMAX films is actually 1.44:1. You were close. [​IMG]

7. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Well, the DVD release of that other IMAX racing movie, I think "Super Speedway" (is that the F1 movie) has a widescreen transfer doesn't it? I never understood why they did it that way though.

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Super Speedway was first released in 4:3 then later remastered in 16:9 widescreen.

Well I bought this Imax Nascar DVD tonight and will fire it up down in the theater and put it to the test audio and visual and report back tomorrow.

Wes

9. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

OAR is OAR and MAR is MAR. Why should anyone take any less offense from someone modifying a 1.44:1 release and formatting it to fit your 16:9 screen than they would from someone taking a widescreen film and formating it to fit a 4:3 screen? Fullscreen (4:3) seems like a much closer approximation to the OAR of IMAX than does widescreen (16:9), but both are modified.

I own the original Super Speedway, it plays pillarboxed on my widescreen television, and fullscreen on a standard TV.

Originally posted by Michael St. Clair
    old thread

10. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Well, just watched it and I would have to give it an over all score of 5 out of 10.

I am not a writer but here my quick review!

Picture: (viewed on a 124" 16:9 front projection Panasonic PT-L500U)
    After seeing Nascar in HD many times now this 4:3 image really falls short. I know it's closer to Imax ratio but it's not breath taking at all like Nascar in HD. I suppose for DVD 4:3 the image was pretty good.

Sound: (Played on a 5.1 Dolby digital EX system with two 15" Subwoofers)
    When they actually let you listen to the Racecars it sounded great with some incredible bass that shook the room but that was not to often in the program. Every time they would have voices over the sound of the cars the great sound and bass would go away. Way too much talking and not nearly enough racing action.
    When the program first starts they give you a real treat in 5.1 sound and your expectations are riding high only to be let down during the talking and loud music covering up the sound of the cars later on. If you like head banging music you might like some of the music choices but to me it was irritating.
    Just let us here the sound of 900 HP racing engine at work for Pete sakes! there are a few pretty good Demo screens.

No extras what so ever!

So for $15. for a 4:3 45 minuet run time so so program I should have just waited till March and rented it at Hollywwod Video.

How dose it compare to Super Speedway:
    I have the original 4:3 Dolby digital 5.1 SS and have used it to demo many times to friends, but I am not sure there is enough on Nascar to make it worth firing up the disc. I will watch it again with demoing in mind and perhaps I will change my mind!

Wes

11. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    I saw both Super Speedway and Nascar 3-D in theatres, and I have to say that Super Speedway was far, far superior as a film. Some of the 3-D stuff was cool in Nascar, but it was a dull, messy film.

Pretty to look at, though.

12. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

I am disappointed in the reviews of this. I am a long time NASCAR fan and had forgotten about this film. When I saw the thread, it made me want to get the film. Now I'm not sure. If there isn't much motor sound, and the film itself is poor, why bother? It sounds similar to the Aerosmith, You Gotta Move DVD. That DVD is great except for the interviews over the song intros. NASCAR is all about close racing and the sound of the cars. If that isn't there, I think I'll pass. I go to at least 5 races a year so I'll get my thrills at the track. Thanks a lot for the review Wes. Much appreciated.

13. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

I dunno, the point of most IMAX films that aren't converted hollywood films is to be educational material since a great majority of the theaters are in institutional venues like museums. As someone who absolutely hates NASCAR and works at a theater that ran this film for months, I was at least glad there was some interesting historical and engineering information spread throughout the film - made the initial few months bearable - though after about three any movie gets pretty damn old.

I'm just saying it sounds like some of you wanted this film to be just an IMAX camera propped next to the driver in a car and projected on the screen for 45 minutes as he did laps during the Daytona500. Yeah, no thanks, go to an amusement park with an appropriate simulator ride if you want that experience.

Even as a film though, I do agree that Super Speedway is better.

14. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

Now that would be cool! Got to have plenty of out side footage also with the cars screaming by also! see now that I could sit and enjoy that time and time again where as the educational part was interesting but why waste Imax for small pop up pictures like what happens many times during this film. What makes Super Speed way better is the on car camera segments of them dicing around.

Wes

15. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Just to pick a nit, Super Speedway was about CART, not F1....I can only wish!

And CART is no more, but its remains are operating as OWRS or something like that...not to mention the steady stream of driver/team defections to the IRL....the sad state of big time open wheel racing in North America.

BGL

16. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    One of our TV Networks here in Australia is presently running a series of IMAX Productions in 16:9 High Definition and the picture quality so far has been stunning.
    The program is called IMAX HOME THEATER.
    Unfortunately the sound so far has only been 2 channel Dolby Digital.

I'm not sure who is responsible for the change in Ratio for these superb looking 16:9 images.

I'm so glad now that I didn't buy any of the 4:3 DVDs.

Bring on the HD DVD Players and Recorders.
    IMAX in 16:9 HD is well worth the wait.

17. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I sure wish they had went out the extra effort on Nascar and put a 16:9, 16:9 3D and a 4:3 version on this disc.
    I can put my PJ into Zoom mode and create a 16:9 image out of it but the quality does suffer, even though I still prefer it over the 4:3.

I watched it again with Demo material in mind and came up with very little. The sound just as the movie begins is the best on the disc. Ya know like on super speed way when the Cart car comes right up close and the great sound that accompanies it. On Nascar there is a clip like that that sounds awesome.

A couple times they give us a few seconds inside a car with great sound but they are all short lived.[​IMG]

Wes