Are H/K receivers that good

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Looking to buy a new receiver and I am curious to how they perform. AVR125 in perticular as compared to say the vr-6060

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

HK's are known for their amp staging. It frequently seems as though you get less with HK for more money when shopping on a comparative basis but this is misleading.

There is only one way to know if the expense or lesser feature package is worth it to you. You must try to audition whatever you are considering with music or DVD content with which you are very familiar. Also try to use speakers which are similar to your own in sound and sensitivity.

In my experience HK's simply get louder with increasing volume. At low levels the sound is full and coherent and as volume rises the level at which the sound begins to audibly distort is appreciably higher. Again, this is my personal experience.

The current model's of Kenwood seem to be great bargains and are feature rich. They also test very well.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Yes, Brian, they really are. Personally, I haven't found them particularly lacking in any useful features, and they sound better than most other receivers out there.

The only receivers that consistently sound better to my ears are those from NAD, and I've had so many problems with their reliability that I've given up on them, unfortunately. Marantz comes very close to H/K, but I still prefer H/K, if for nothing else than the Logic7, which is very nice.

Denon, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, Yamaha and Sony ES are fine products, but none sound as good as H/K, Marantz or NAD. But, for the reasons given above, I'll stick with H/K.

4. Paul Clarke

I have to come back and second Angelo on this. It is a shame that NAD went through such a bad spell. They really do produce some amazingly musical pieces. I would also include Arcam and Rotel, of course, in Angelo's list. Of the more affordable offerings, I'm also very fond of Marantz as I cut my audio teeth on more Marantz equipment than I can remember.

My preference for H/K is based on a sound/price value scale that most other manufacturers can't match to my ears' satisfaction. I want my receivers' weight to be reflective of it's specs, build quality and design potential. I need to be able to trust the specs provided. I want to hear balanced output across the entire frequency range. With H/K I have never been disappointed. JMHO.

5. Brian_Tho

Im just worried the 125 will not provide enough power in my 20x15x8 room. I listened to the 125 at cc and cranked it up to +5 decibals. Was dissapointed.

6. Paul Clarke

That is a large room. You may need to upsize no matter which receiver brand you go with. A lot will depend on your speakers as well.

7. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

Yes, a lot depends on your speakers. Our H/K AVR-325 is in a 28 x 13 x 8 room with Studio 20s as mains (BIC center, Yamaha surrounds, Klipsch sub). I get more volume than I can take at 0 dB. We usually play DVDs at -20 dB or less.

There are a lot of different "tastes" in sound, but I've never heard anything cleaner, smoother, or more effortless (like it's just part of the room) than NAD and H/K.

Listen to the same music through different receivers in a controlled setting and you will hear some big differences in personality. You'll have to decide for yourself what kind of sound you like best.

As far as build quality, I can't speak highly enough of the H/K. It's built as well as anything I've ever had.

Tim

8. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

You have probably seen some of my posts here, as I was recently in the receiver shopping market . I auditioned just about everything out there in the $500.00 and under range. I now have an HK 225, can't say enough about how pleased I am with it and I am very picky about sound and build quality.

9. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

Maybe you should look into a preamp + amp combination

10. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Check out Rotel's offerings. They usually sound good and just got a good review in "the absolute sound".

11. Raphael O

Raphael O Stunt Coordinator

i hope they do sound good (HK) as i bought the avr 8000 .

keeping my fingers crossed.

12. Brian_Tho

I want to keep it under 500 dollars. I have heard the vr-6060 is rated at 2000cubic feet. being that the 6070 is the same model and its thx select certified. The hk 225 is only 5watts more powerfull than the 125. From what ive read you nead double the power just to get 3decibals louder. How does that make the 225 any better than the 125?

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

14. Brian_Tho

Awesome Johnny. Have you had any experience with the vsx-d811s or vr-6060? Just curious

15. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

As you've probably been told before, you can't judge the power of a receiver by its "power rating".

If you really break it down, we ask our AV receivers to do an awful lot of things, and on top of that we want clean power through as many as 7.1 channels. I can't even imagine the shortcuts that have to be taken to keep the cost below $500. You WILL hear the difference if that's important to you. If the sound is not that critical, and all you really want is to be able to hook everything up, plug it in and go, then there are definitely less expensive options than H/K. There are kids across the street that have $100 stereos with tons of "power", and they can keep the whole neighborhood awake if they want to. At the $500 price point, you'll have to decide whether loudness or sound quality are most important.

The AVR-325 has an MSRP of $899, most stores are selling it at $650 to $800, and Costco has it for the great price of $499.99.

All the best,

Tim

16. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Musically---they are awesome.

But their feature set, design, ergonomics, and MOST importantly...Quality Control...I'm personally not too hot on.

Look into the "shut-down" problem plagueing some x20 and even 8000 receivers. Granted all manufacturers have bad batches now and then (read Onkyo SRx00 series...) but there does seem to be an awful lot of refurb H/K receivers floating around.

17. Brian_Tho

Good point Steven, what receiver do you recommend?

18. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Since this may be an issue for some it should be noted that the AVR-325 has a fan. That alone would disqualify it for me.

19. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Brian_Tho,
    I just want to say this is probably the 4th or so post that you asked about Harmons product line. And also asking much about the AVR125. I do own this model and I am very very VERY happy with it. I played with allot of receivers and demo'd them at home and at stores. I feel that if you listen to the amp at stores it might sound funny and espically at CC stores since its not really setup the way speakers should be adjusted. Also keep in mind that amps are set in differnt setting. Like speakes set on large or small,, or how many DB's is each speaker level is adjusted to.
    My living room is 13x17 and its loud as HELL if I want it to be. I can actually make my ear drums feel like there about to bust [​IMG] .
    I say buy it, take it home and test it. Do not under-estimate the power of it being only 45x5 or 55x2. H/K specs are not over rated as to like Kenwood or Pioneer AV receivers that say there 100x5 or what-ever. You let your ears do the testing. I do also say your living room is a little bigger then mine,, but it also depends if its really open or not. I have 12' ceiling and its really open to the kitchen and bedrooms,, but the H/K performs at top notch!
    I feel I am getting my moneys worth for it. Plus it looks stylish!!Love it!!
    [​IMG]

20. Brian_Tho

what levels for music and movies. dd 5.1 movies i find have to be played the loudest. what levels on those