Are Floorstanding speakers too large for a 15x12x8 room?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Emile, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Emile

Emile Agent

I was hoping to get Athena audition speakers, but I am not sure if my room is big enough for so much sound. My room is only 15Lx12Wx8H, and it seems like it could easily be overkill. I also have recently read that you should try to put your speakers about five feet away from the wall, and this too would make it seem that I need a larger room for floorsanding speakers. Does this really matter? Are there any people in this forum that have floorstanding speakers in a comparatively small room? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Floorstanding speakers can be in small rooms and sound terrific. The only thing floorstanding peakers have that most smaller monitors don't is the capabilities of bass.

With that said, small rooms are perfectly fine with bass as much as large rooms. Also, a majority of speakers on the market won't require more than 12 inches from the backwall, not 5 feet. IMO, the only thing overkill that a floorstanding speaker might have is that it takes up more space, and may cost more.

Take my room for example which has floorstanding speakers and dimensions are only 10'x11.5'x8'H. Pics at bottom of page (And no, small rooms do not need acoustic treatments to sound good, I was just fine tuning)

3. Kevin Knebel

Kevin Knebel Extra

I have Athena AS-F1's (with AS-B1's for rears, AS-C1 center and a Def Tech 100TL sub) in a room 12x18x8 and they sound great!! I don't find them to be overkill at all.

4. Jeffrey Stanton

Jeffrey Stanton Stunt Coordinator

I've got Klipschorns for mains, Klipsch KLF-30s for rear surrounds, KLF-C7 at center and a KSW-15 subwoofer in a 17' X 12' X 8' room (about 1600 sq. ft.), and am STILL looking for more subwoofage. Sounds OK to me....

5. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of IL60s in a smaller room than what you describe and while many would consider it overkill, I haven't had any problems and enjoy them.

6. yung cheng

yung cheng Extra

My room is 12LX15WX8H and i am using floor-standing speakers Polk audio RTi70. It's fine for my case but i had similar worry as you before.
    I don't know it helps or not but when i choose the speakers i pick the ones with front or down-firing instead of rear ports and when i set the receiver i choose small for my front speakers and let the subwoofer handle the bottom.
    It reduces the excess bass from front speakers close to the wall & make the sound more clear.

7. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

As others have pointed out, porting is an important consideration. Rear porting will require more space to get right.

Like Jeffrey (above) my room size is 17x12x8 and I run 4 37" Emerald 97 towers and a corner loaded sub. But my speaks are front ported and less finicky.

A lot of your consideration should focus on the Athena specs and what you will use to power them.

8. Emile

Emile Agent

Thanks for the comments everyone. Chris, nice pics, but does the bass overpower the room? Paul,I will be using a Onkyo 800 to power the speakers so I think that should be okay. Yung, if you let the subwoofer handle most of the bass then what is the benefit of having floorstanding speakers aside from the aesthetic difference?

9. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Emile,

It's odd but I can't find the Ohm rating in the Athena specs. At least the sensitivity is decent. I agree the 800 should be fine. Which Audition Tower are you considering?

I can't speak for Yung but with my setup I prefer having the towers handle the bass with music in most situations so I run them as large, no sub in Stereo. For HT it is just the opposite. Towers simply give you more setup options but are no guarantee in themselves of better sound. The flexibility bonus only really pays off when the speaker in question has decent bass characteristics.

Also, a 3 way tower featuring a separate mid-range and a decent crossover design has greater potential in sound quality IMO. This is just a generalization of course and there are many quality exceptions out there. Just listen to a great 2 way like the Thiel CS1.6.[​IMG]

10. Emile

Emile Agent

Paul, the Athena audition sereis has an Ohm rating of 8, as stated by the 2003 edition of Sound and Vision buyers guide. I am pretty sure I am going to get the ASF2, the flagship tower for the audition series (there are only two), and the ASB2 along with the ASC1 and the PB400 to make a 6.1 system. I really love the way those speakers look (silver is a great color and will go well with my silver DVD player Pioneer 656A and Toshiba 36'Tv), and they sound expressive yet laidback when I listened to them recently. Yeah, the 93 sensitivity is good, though I don't really listen to music loud anyway.
    I have heard that a three way tower can provide better sound, but aren't they also supposed to be more expensive? I am seriously considering the Audition series because I can get them for about 1080, and they retail for 1500. Thanks for the comments.

11. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

IMO, bass won't really overpower a room as long as you use the little knob that controls volume.

All the size and extra watts is simply headroom that allows the system to play the full dynamics of sound (soft and loud volume bursts).

If you had a speaker that had 110db sensitivity, it still wouldn't be overkill because the receiver would simply be adjusted to only give it about 1/4 watt to about a watt. I'd say that the user has adjustability on how loud the music plays not just the speaker.

12. Hank

Hank Guest

I use Paradigm Reference Esprits in my 13'x 10'x 8' room. Bass was very tubby though. I have the speakers placed 2 1/2' from the rear wall. I fixed this with a pair of Bass Busters by Echo Busters. I also use Roomtunes Corner Tunes in the upper corners along with Echo Tunes on the rear & side wall. My room sounds great now although I could still tweak some of the bass output though. Small rooms can sound good!