What's new

Are flat screen TV's that much better? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Ped

Second Unit
I have a Toshiba 27" TV that I bought about 7 months ago at Best Buy for $280 (my employee discount justifies my employment). However, the bastards decided to start carrying a model very VERY similar to mine but with a flat screen. The picture looks great (but so did mine). My question is, if the TV is going to cost me about $415 after discount and I can get $200 for my current TV, is it worth getting a flat screen??
*note:I do have somewhat of a problem with glare on my current TV, but nothing to big.
Thanx,
Mike

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>The picture looks great (but so did mine).
Mike,
Your comment within the parentheses says it all. However, if you can afford to spend $215 every 7 months on a new tv, go for it. You can be sure that someone will have a newer and even "better" model 7 months from now. Or, you might put $215, every 7 months, into a general-market fund, or even long-term cd's. That way, when HDTV upgrade time becomes necessary, you will have a chunk of the cost ready to spend.
Marty
[Edited last by Marty Neudel on July 27, 2001 at 02:59 AM]

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Mike, I'll assume you have the 27A40 or 27A50. I have one of those as well. I agree with you that glare is a problem with this set. I don't believe it's worth it just to upgrade to the flat tube version of this set - 27AF41 - even though the flat tube has a few newer features such as speaker on/off, a little better horizontal resolution, etc. In looking at the set, it seems to me that these new flat screen sets from Toshiba are pushing red. The color decoder in the 27A40 is pretty decent actually with no red push that I can tell. I think if you're going to upgrade, you need to really upgrade and not just sidegrade. I've rationalized that if I upgrade later this year it would be to get the 32 inch higher end flat screen variety - 32AFX61 or perhaps the HDTV-ready 32 inch - 32HFX71. For me, simply getting the 27AF41 is not worth the trouble.
cheers,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks