What's new

Are DVD companies terrified of NUCLEAR WAR...? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's clear from the responses that the answer to the question in the title is no.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have been waiting ages for HBO's By Dawn's Early Light
I've been waiting for a widescreen release of "THE BEDFORD INCIDENT" since it was announced as a letterboxed LD release many moons ago. (of course, it NEVER happened) And I'd buy a DVD of "HBO's By Dawn's Early Light" in a NY minute.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
There was a NOVA (I think) documentary about the problems and solutions that have been seen @ chernobyl. One of the things that weirded me out was watching the ROV crawl though the wreckage, with the amount of noise on the image. This of course being cause by the hard rads sleeting though the equipment. They crawled the thing down to the pile, which is still fusing, the pile is just slag, and the amount of radioactive decay to surrounding material was scary. I would be interested in knowing if this documentary ever came out on DVD or not.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Miracle Mile out, or perhaps announced to be coming out soon. It's not great, but it is interesting if you like such stories (nuke war happening).

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
There is one movie people haven't mentioned yet and wonder if it will ever be on disc? Panic in Year Zero was released in 1962 and considered the first nuclear disaster movie.

I see that it is an AIP film and guess that MGM (Midnite Movie series) has the rights to it?

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Are DVD companies (studios) terrified of NUCLEAR WAR...?

Only if the members of this forum gain access to nuclear weapons :)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Ok guys... good news.

I decided to bite the bullet and buy the extended copy of The Day After available in England. All sales sites indicate this is a Region 2 disc but a great surprise when I opened it up. The cover and silkscreen art says it is an All-Region (region 0) disc! I have noticed a change in cover art lately to the newer all red graphic cover and distributed by Prism Leisure and Fremantle Media.

Maybe the region code changed recently? If so, as mentioned before, this may be the only way you are able to get this movie in the US for quite some time!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Unfortunately, when I got home with the disc I found out that it is a Region 2. Either they changed their minds in the middle of pressing the discs or it is an error on both the cover and disc saying "All Regions"? I am asking them now what happened?

I was able to play it though on my PC and the video quality is remarkable for a 20-year old TV movie. Highly recommended for the price if you are able to play Region 2 discs!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Can someone comment on the below? Does anyone know the difference between the US and UK versions?

Yes, the Region 2 did have a couple of different scenes that was edited for US broadcast during a time when TV standards were more stricter for family viewing.

What I do find odd is that a listing in a yearly movie book states it is 135 minutes. My original VHS version is 126 minutes while the UK version is 122 minutes. Can't be the "director's cut" in the normal sense. Just a different edit using the footage they had. The UK version having more gore while the US was tame.

I just checked... the German version is only 115 minutes long!

Here is what the IMDb site has to say:
Originally filmed at 3 hours, the original release version (which ran in European theatres and later worldwide on home video) ran 126 minutes. The network telecast version (available for a time on LaserDisc) ran 120 minutes. Heavily edited for later telecast showings. Most current video cassette and disc versions run the full 126-minute length.
So... one does wonder if the 122 minute UK version is closer to the telecast version as opposed to the video version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks