Are Dual Subs really necessary?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John-Miles, Sep 30, 2003.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Im thinking or rather planning my next HT upgrade, and its got to be new speakers.

What I am planning right now is to buy fullrange speakers, and I am hoping to get an SVS 16-46 to take care of the really low bass.

But according to SVS the lowest bass producer lacks in the Volume department. So I am hoping there is a reasonable level of bass from the rest of my speakers to make up for this. But how low would you SVS owners out there recommend my speakers go?

I am planning to get towers all around, and well the biggest center channels i can.

Any recommendations? I have been thinking of getting the PSB images 6t speakers. They are rated down to 32 Hz at -3dB.

2. Saul R

Saul R Extra

I guess it would depend on the size of you room. In fact, having a plurality of bass sources (subs + full range speakers) could be detrimental in a small room -- e.g., due to interference caused by standing waves and/or cancellation. Such would be a lesser issue in a larger room. IMO, and from personal experimentation with my setup, a single LFE device provides a more uniform soundstage (I have all of my full range speakers through a 80Hz Hi-Pass Filter). Also, a single sub should be more than adequate due to the non-directional nature of low frequency waves.

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I feel that 5 small speakers + 1 or 2 quality subs tends to outperform 5 large tower speakers + sub (given the same budget). Given the choice between a $1k tower and $1k monitor sized speaker, the monitor will almost always be a better choice (assuming a subwoofer is in the system). Just my suggestion... go audition and decide for yourself. Setting your speakers to small also has advantages (less load on the amps, less complex crossover, etc.). Consider the PSB Stratus Mini or Platinum M20 vs. the Image 6T.

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Bsss presence is subjective, what might be too little for some is always too much for the wife!

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

(Always to much for the wife) Ain't that the truth!

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

8. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Thanks for the advice guys.

9. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I never get the WAF factor. Been married to the same woman for 24 years... A great gal... I come home and sometimes she has the stereo cranked up that even is too loud for me. She says she has to do it as it is in a far awaya room.... right.... but when I crank up the bass a bit more than normal for a movie she thinks im nuts... Oh well cant live with em and can't .... well you know... Anyway to be truthful she is worth more to me than any of my gear so no harm no foul....

10. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

11. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

12. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

What is it with the women?

I have two theories -- and they might actually both be correct:

1) Women hear better than men
    2) Women INTERPRET the sound differently than men

My mom always used to say, "Turn off that rock 'n' roll, it makes me nervous!" But what was nerve-wracking to her was exciting -- stimulating -- to me.

Perhaps women are more frightened and disturbed by loud sounds, especially bassy ones, while men are more excited by them -- sort of akin to the "flight or fight" instinct, wherein women are more likely to flee while men are more likely to gear up for battle.

Make any sense?

13. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

John I think from what you describe the 16-46 might just be the way to go. You have a little different approach than what many decide and you might have a few challenges to over come but once you get it all dialed in I sure wouldn't mind hearing it myself.[​IMG]

Why is it when my wife and teenage daughters listen to music in the family room, 85 db is just fine but when I view a movie at -20 it is to loud? Now if they decide they would like to watch a movie, then a -15 level is just fine.[​IMG] I have took my meeter in there to show them just how unfair they can be but to no avail. 85 db is great for them but way out there concerning my listening habits.

I never have seen the conservative side of Tom V myself except in his opinion on output capability and I think this serves him well. He most likely sizes things up and proceeds with each individual accordingly? I know I would and it only makes sense.

Hi Mr. Sloaner! I had a little misshape the other day and now I am only running two 25-31cs+'s [​IMG].. I told Tom V about my deplorable behavior and he still stepped up to the plate with out any hesitation. Thank you Tom V and what a individual and organization. I finally decided to see just what three 25-31cs+'s could do in my leaky 2880 cubic ft HT and let me tell you the whole house was bulging at the seems. 124 on the meeter plus at least +3 for correction. (127 db conservatively) When your db racing with three though it is hard to tell if one is bottoming and hence the blown driver. There is a little more to it but this closely sums it up. I have been wondering where to slide this in and this seems possibly as good as any??? Thanks John for letting me rant.

14. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well i think I ahve my plan, though you have definitely brought up some good points, it will be difficult to dial everythign in correctly, but it should be worth it.

and Steve.... you are so right about the volume. I still live with my parents, but my mom will have noprmal listening elvels at volumes that i find too lound int he other end of the house. but if its my stuff, he can hear it when even i cant.

15. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

For what its worth I just replaced dual large NHT subs with the SVS PB2+ and could not be happier. No compairison!

16. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

So Steve.....you say the wife complains when you are watching LOTR at 127db....invest in ear plugs! Kidding aside...what format were you using when testing the outer limits of your subs? You actually smoked a driver!!!! This is a story that needs to be shared in detail......YOU THE MAN!

Mike[​IMG]

17. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Inquiring minds you know.... Not the magazine though... Rush seems to be in big time trouble... haha.... Anyway I want to hear about your LOTR debute....

18. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Steve wrote a couple of rather long posts while HTF was in big time hick-up mode recently. Unfortunatly they got tossed for some un-forseen reason.

He mentioned this (the lost posts) in one of his emails to me this weekend. With his well controled frustration, [​IMG] after loosing 2 rather lengthy posts, he finally called it quits this weekend.

I'm sure he'l be back with the lost post information. That is if he has a keyboard left..[​IMG]

John:
    Yup, once you get a taste of clean bottom feeding bass with some spl, it's like a crack addict. Seems most, anyways, always want MORE!

Cheers
    Geoff