Are Dobly PLII adjustments important?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Are the "full" versions of PLII with the adjustments important, or can I live without them. I am thinking of getting an Onkyo 696 which has the "light" version or Denon 2802 which has the "full" version. Will the adjustments help, or will I probably just set them to the default settings anyway?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

IMO, it all comes down to how picky you are.

For example, if you plan on listening to music in DPL II, I consider the adjustments absolutely critical. Since the music wasn't originally mixed for surround, the final sound you end up with can be quite varied. To get it where you may want it, you need to be able to adjust the soundfield.

Also, I read that many users (including inventor Jim Fosgate) use the Music mode for ALL DPL II listening, including movies. While I don't do that, you may find that you will use the Music mode alot too. If so, you may again want to be tweak the final sound.

I know that many users have DPL II without the Music mode adjustments and are very happy. But I wonder how much happier they would be if they had the whole package???

3. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I also do all of my PLII listening in Music mode on my 3802. And I find the adjustments to be critical for this. I have the system tweaked to how it sounds best in my environment. I could probably live without them, but why? IMO, the 2802 is the better receiver vs the 696. Look at the S&V tests and tell me that the 696 still looks good.

Bryan

4. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Regarding the DPL2 Music Mode adjustments, are they standard across the board?

I believe there are three parameters that can adjusted in the Music Mode. What is the number of choices within each adjustable parameter?

Thanks.

Rich B.

5. Bryan Acevedo

On my 3802 they are as follows:

Panorama: On or Off

Dimension: 0 - 6

Center Width: 0 - 7

I believe this is it.

Bryan

6. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Thanks Bryan.

Center Width is self explanatory.

Dimension must be the front-to-back level adjustment I remember reading about, kind of like a Fade adjustment in a car radio.

Panorama ?

Rich B.

7. Bryan Acevedo

Your guess is as good as mine on that one - I haven't been able to find any source material where it makes a difference. I just leave it on. But the others definitely make a big difference (at least center width does). The Dimension is kind of like a fader, but I haven't had a lot of time to play with that one.

Bryan