Are "Disney Treasures" coming to R2?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frederic_A, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

Will we ever see the "Disney Treasures" series in R2 (Europe)? With the second batch already out in the US, I would have expected at least some to be released here by now. Any news on that?

I'd be surprised if there weren't any such plans, since a)the classic shorts have universal appeal and are well-known in Europe, and b)they would benefit from PAL's higher resolution, since they are all practically 4:3.

2. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

In my opinion, until the current management at Buena Vista Home Entertainment (UK) changes these will never be released in Europe.
    Why do I say that? Because BVHE (UK) appear to consider the Disney films as being young children's Entertainment and nothing more - they certainly don't think that there is a strong 'collectors' market in R2.
    Look at the lack of publicity for their 2-Disc 'Collector's Editions' of Disney titles. I have seen several adverts for this year's 'Beauty and the Beast' release, but out of over 10 adverts, I have only seen 1 which even mentions the 2 disc set. Atlantis had (to my knowledge) no adverts at all promoting the 2 disc set. I get the impression BVHE(UK) is being forced to release the 2 disc sets against their will, and are doing as much to bury them as possible. Yet their single disc releases do get the full weight of the Disney publicity machine behind them. Annoyingly these single disc released are always 4:3 too.
    While Monsters Inc. only had a 2 disc release in R1, R2 had a single disc release and the 2 disc release of Sleeping Beauty was dropped (seemingly at the last minute based on BBFC certification) for no reason. (It is however coming out mid-January 2003).
    I find it hard to believe that there is nobody at Disney UK who has the intelligence to know that there is a strong adult following of Disney films and cartoons worldwide, but that certainly seems to be the case. [​IMG]