Are Dells quiet enough for HTPC?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Darryl, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of getting a Dell with XP MCE. Does anyone here have a Dell 8400 or XPS? Is the machine quiet enough to place in a HT without being distracting, even when watching TV with the sound volume relatively low?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Sheesh are they ever! Just about every Dell I heard are just as quiet as my htpc (if not quieter), which I spent a good amount of money on just to make it almost noiseless.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You could get better results building your own . . . but it's probably fine. Also, you could make it much quieter through modifications (though they may or may not void the warranty). You could replace the case fans with quiet case fans (they make some under 20dB). Or, you could possibly take the case fan off and buy passive heatsinks for various parts in the computer. The CPU fan would still run, and you'd need to monitor the temperature closely, but it could be done.

4. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

The only reason I'd build my own would be to make sure it is quiet enough - I could pick components like the Sonata case specifically for the quiet factor. I've priced out the components on newegg and other sites, and I wouldn't be saving enough money to make it worth building my own.

I've got a Dell 4300, a few years old, and it's definitely too loud to use as an HTPC. Good to hear Scott is happy with the noise level of a newer Dell.

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I am responding to this on my new 8400... and I'll preface by saying that I'm very happy and impressed...
    Although I've not given much thought into an htpc, I would say, that, properly set up this unit would shine...
    The optional Geforce cards would give you the resolution and speed to run quite sufficiently.
    I had opted for the lower ATI card, but am still lightning fast on some games that maxed out my geforce 420 64meg card on my last machine.
    Quiet?, not measured with an spl meter, but I just opened my door on the computer desk, and barely heard the fans.
    If it's not by your listening position...(or maybe even if it is), it would be fine.
    You'll get a lot of that "you should build it yourself" garbage..., and I seriously thought about it. But at best I would be a novice at it and wanted to be up and running.
    I just moved to wireless at my home... and this machine is, without a doubt, the nicest I've ever used, (and that includes my work.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I wouldn't suggest the XPS, it's louder. The 8400 is a good choice though.

7. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    My Dell has two hard drives so the noise I get out of it is the drives, I suppose. I hear it as I type...

8. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

I use my dell for htpc and it is quiet enough..it was much quieter when I first got it though..guess it needs a cleaning..either that or a better fan meant to be quiet.

9. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Well, the notion of building one urself isn't "garbage" as it has its own merits. Its not for everyone and if one is just a tad bit iffy on it, buying one from Dell and other companies would suffice.

10. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I don't know...I just got a new Dell 8400 and it is somewhat louder than my old 8200, especially when the graphics card's fan kicks in.

Is it easy to switch the fans to quieter ones? Other than the noise, I'm happy.

11. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

My statement wasn't that the notion was garbage...(as I stated I contemplated this myself, and knew that I could spend as much, and possibly get more), but that people tend to "push" their ideas on others in this forum pretty hard. ie;"If you spend the money on a Dell instead of building your own, YOU"RE NUTS!!!""

12. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I stand...or right now seated...corrected and I apologize. I misunderstood u.....and yes...its like talking to a fanboy who hates it if u went ahead and bought a PC....or an Xbox over a PS2..[​IMG]