What's new

Are Definitive Tech speakers worth 2-3 times the price of JBL’s? (1 Viewer)

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
I have been looking at a pair of JBL S-36s and an S-Center. I figure I can get them for around $500 shipped. However, I listened to some Definitive Tech stuff the other day and really liked it. I am looking at the Definitive Tech PM500 and ProCenter C2. Those will cost around $1150 plus tax.

The center channels are real close in speaker size and specs, except the DT C2 has a better frequency range. The PM500’s almost have the same foot print as the S-36 which is why I was looking at the S-36 in the first place. However, I have not been able to hear the S-36 yet. The PM500 also have a built in 8” sub so it can get really low for a small main.

Anyway, are Definitive Tech’s really worth that much more money? Thanks

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Are they worth twice as much to you? That's the question you should be asking. You could also get a pair of JBL S26's for surrounds and still be way under the price of the Def Techs. If you're looking for the main's to have a decent amount of bass you can look at the JBL S38's, which I've heard have good bass for bookshelf. I would recommend getting the entire setup for the price of the Def Techs. Hope this helps.

Paul

By the way, I used JBL S26's for MAIN's for awhile, and they sounded great.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Lowell,

One thing about speakers is that there are always diminishing returns as the price goes up. Even within Def Techs lineup, will a pair of bp3000TL's be 5-6 times better than a pair of PM500's? Probably not.

That said, I feel that the additional investment spent on the PowerMonitors may lead to greater satisfaction over the long run. I always recommend that users buy the "best" loudspeakers that they can afford...and then add on from there.

2 PM500's + ProCenter should be an excellent setup. Even better would be 3 PM500's...if you can swing for such a setup, go for it!!! I do not think you will be disappointed with the results.

The $1150 price means that you are paying retail price for all the DT speakers...is your dealer simply not willing to go down? IMHO DT's are well worth the asking price (even if it is list price)...but hopefully you can bargain with your dealer to get a bit of a discount.

Good luck!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Lowell- I got my DT's for about 30% off.

You can find them discounted if you look around.

Also, for what it's worth, I switched from direct radiator JBLs (4311B studio monitors, a long time ago) to Def Tech's bipolar's. I myself much preferred the bipolar (and in general, Def Tech's) sound.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
LowellG

ITs like this, here on the HTF everyone loves JBL. People think they are great, and I don't doubt they are. HOWEVER, they are not better than every other speaker out there. You can and will get a better sound from more expensive speakers. Otherwise everyone would have those JBL and JBL would be the best name in audio.

Now, on a budget they must be great. I've heard them a few times, even properly setup but I wasn't that impressed.

Now Phil Iterrald (sorry if I mispleld that Phil) will pop in here and tout how great they are. Brent Butterworth says this and that, and blah blah blah. As I said, they are good speakers on a budget but you can do better for more money. How much more is your decision.

As another reply said, its all about what you think is worth it.

I think speakers and describing how they sound is like trying to define colors. Its hard to do and at best you get a vague idea.

Thats what I have to say about that.

Jon

LowellG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice everybody. Bob, I also considered using 3 PM500's, I just don't know if it would sound as good as the DT C2. The C2 has 2 - 5.25"'s plus 1 - 1" tweeter, the PM has 1 - 1", 1 - 4.5" and 1 - 8". Now that I have written it out, maybe it will work just fine.

I also thought about the C/R/L 2300, but the size of that thing with my 32" TV, the wife approval factor, plus the price, I just don't think I can justify it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks