What's new

Are CRT hdtv's still the best? Or is DLP or LCD the way to go? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am looking into purchasing a new hdtv and am on the ropes about which way I want to go. I have heard great things about DLP and LCD technology and have seen some nice units at my local stores, however I still feel that the picture seems a little washed out and the units I have seen have a hard time producing dark blacks. Now the picture itself is stunning and I like the fact that it looks the same from end to end of the screen. At least on my hdtv the picture is great in the center but as the picture moves out from the center of the screen the picture becomes a little less detailed. I also have heard that you can play video games on DLP and LCD displays with absolutely no worry of burn in or degraded picture when watching dvd or satellite. Is this true? Also what are some suggestions on different models. I am looking at 61-65 inch displays. Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

You basically answered your own question. When it comes to producing realistic, deep blacks, CRT technology still wins. The higher light output of DLP can give the image more snap at times.

And, true, with fixed-panel displays image burn-in is not an issue.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have been reading alot more about this LCOS technology and it looks to be the new best thing. I can't wait to actually see one. I hope Toshiba will make a 65 inch model.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
LCOS has the liquid crystals on a mirror as opposed to on a transparent plate that light shines through. Light is bounced off the mirror and has to pass through the crystals twice, thus giving better blacks.
There are a few LCD models that have two LCD panels sandwiched together for the same reason, having the light pass through two sets of crystals for darker blacks. This latter method costs more but has yet another advantage, if there is a dead pixel, it doesn't stand out as much because it is highly unlikely the same spot will be dead on both layers.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
From what I've heard, Toshiba's not making a 65, at least there are no public or leaked plans to. :) Of course, someone else could very well step up to the plate...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks