What's new

are controllers worth the extra money? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
CRAIG P
for the ammount of money spent on a controller i could easily by a high end receiver with dolby true hd and a blu ray player with dolby true hd. will i still get better sound with a controller w/hdmi 1.3? i know this is all subjectable and opinion based but i live in a area where i am not able to demo any gear. any advise will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Real Name
CRAIG P
for some reason thats what nht calls their pre-amp processor. i figured that might have been a universal term, i guess not...

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I was not familiar with the term either.

It depends on your disposable income Craig. But as you have asked the question, I suspect that the answer is no. However if you are quite the audiophile (and don’t much care about spending the extra money) go ahead and get the pre-amp. Personally I think that integrated receivers have come a long way and I’ve not been able to justify the bucks since the early days of Hi-Fi. But I do acknowledge that those who own separate components have a superior system.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've actually been using receivers as pre/pros (or "controllers") recently because I like what they have to offer. I still use my separate amps (an Outlaw Model 750 5 channel 300W into 4 ohm) and a couple of matching Marantz monoblocks (similar specs) but I've abandoned by "old" Lexicon MC-8 for a Denon 3806 and more recently a Denon 3808ci. Separate amps are the best way to go but, as others have indicated, current day AVRs have acceptable amp sections with little compromise.

My suggestion would be to start out with a receiver. Just make sure that you get one with "preamp outputs" in case you want to upgrade the amps later on. You might just find that you like the performance of the AVR amps just fine, but at least you are leaving your options open.

(Sidenote: With my next Denon product I'll be returning to the pre/pro fold. They recently introduced a superb controller (the HDA1ci) that gets them back into the pre/pro game. I can do this because I already have amps that make this an easy transition.)

Real Name
CRAIG P
thanks for all the great advise. i ended up buying the nht controller (demo) to compliment the rest of my nht products at a great price on ebay ($1150)
my next step is to get their matching amp but i first have to sell my parasound 5125 so if anyone is interested please let me know. selling price is $695 w/shipping. thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks