What's new

Are Component Cables OK with 1080i ? (1 Viewer)

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Knowledgeable Ones;

I currently have an older DVD player and TV that have no HDMI inputs/outputs. Just component ins/outs, which look fine for a progressive DVD signal.

I'm also getting ready to drywall my HT ceiling and have installed as many wires as I can to future-proof my HT setup. The large duct I've installed in my HT ceiling will help for future cabling needs, too.

I'd like to know if the standard 3 component cables are OK for carrying Hi-def (1080i, 720p) signals, or do you need a specific HDMI cable? I'd need one about 25 feet long, and they seem to be scarce and expensive, unlike the component cables which are built in big lengths. These cables, by the way, are to connect my video source at the component rack to my front projector when I eventually get one.

And, is there any big advantage to the HDMI system, as opposed to the component system? (I guess if they're the ONLY cable to carry Hi-def, that's an obvious answer, but I'm not sure on that yet).

Thanks, Tom, Ottawa.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Component will carry a 1080i signal, but it will be analog, not digital, so if you're worried about the Dig to Analog and then back to Dig at your projector... then go with HDMI.

Also Component doesnt have HDCP which needs at least DVI or HDCP... so that leaves out up-conversion DVD players, and most likely the future HD tuners and HD-DVD/BlueRay discs. According to things I've read here, if you use component these future components will downconvert to 480p.

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Roman and others;

Thanks for the help.

I'll expand this thread by asking, do HDMI cables exist in 25 to 30 foot lengths? My understanding was that they are made in short lengths only.

Also, does this type of cable have heavy signal loss if you can get them in 25+ foot lengths? Is there a reason other than cost, that they seem to be available only in short runs?

Thanks, Tom.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
From the Blue Jeans Cables home page "Blue Jeans Cable now carries DVI cables, HDMI cables, and HDMI/DVI cables. After a lengthy search for cables capable of reliably carrying parallel digital video signals without information loss over distance, we now offer both single and dual link DVI-D cables, various DVI analog connection cables, HDMI cables, and HDMI/DVI adapter cables, all from AV Link, Inc. These DVI and HDMI cables are available in lengths up to 50 feet."

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There are issues however with longer cables degrading the signal. But one of them: DVI or HDMI is better than the other. Can't remember which one! :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Thats the best thing you could do. :emoji_thumbsup:

If you want, run a component cable from one of the custom sites, and a fish-roap to pull something else later.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
There is a post in the Display Devices that speaks about running lengthy Component Cables. The suggestion I made was in lengthy runs you can use Shielded RF Coax Cable for your component video. It was further suggested by another poster that using RG-6 Coax Cable is best. RG-6 coax cable is used for Satellite and digital cable as oppose to RG-59 that's used for analog reception. This might be a cheap yet very effective solution to your problem. RG-6 Cable is used for HD broadcast as well via satellite and digital cable, there's no reason why it would not pass the best picture here. I spent 25.00 for Acoustic Research Component cables that I will be replacing this weekend with the RG-6 Shielded Cable with RF to RCA connectors and color tape.

Tom Kay

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Again

I should point out, that I have already run 28 feet of Monster3 component cables from the receiver area to where my front projector will be. I got them brand new from Ebay for a good price.

I still am not sure if I can get HDMI or other future cables in 35-30 foot lengths, with little signal loss. Assuming I can, I will slide these future cables through my plastic duct when they become needed.

So the component cables are taken care of, but I guess that these will not pass all of the signals that I want, huh? Not enough bandwidth. At least according to those who have responded to my original post (thanks !).

Ok, I'm getting the picture, and the replies have helped. Cheers everyone, Tom.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Tom Kay: As far as I know, component cables can carry a high definition picture no problem.
They are trying to foist these HDMI cables on us because they want the video signal to be
encrypted, because they want it to be harder to copy from the original movie HD-DVD's.
Whereas component cables carry a pure analog signal straight to the t.v. for viewing.

I'd rather just stick with component cables. But we may have to use these HDMI cables to
get the HD picture from the HD-DVD players.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Also, I am not sure that in the future, cable boxes and satellite boxes that output HD will even support HD over component. Again, because of the studios fears. HDMI (or DVI) might be the *only* choice. Depending on how you're going to get your HD...

Also, I think by definition, all component video cables are 75 ohm and shielded coax cable. Some are RG-59 some are RG-6. But all are shielded coax.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Jerome: You can buy real HD compatible coax (3 conductor) that was designed for HD analog frequencies. Do a web search for "Have Inc." in New York. This is where I bought my Canare stock.

Sat grade RG6 was designed for digital signals. While it will appear to work, a test pattern can often show loss of focus using the wrong cable.

You can get the good stuff in 3 different form factors: mini-coax, RG59 and RG6.

Instead of the generic hardware store RG6, call around to an electronics shop and see if they carry Belden 1694a, 7710a, or Canare V3-5CFB. This stuff is usually sold in spools to professional studios, but some places will cut you a length for a small cutting fee.

If you want to "do it right", our own Chris White: How to make your own high quality cables is a great site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks