Are companies allowed to pay you this way?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerrickRemmert, Jul 26, 2002.

1. DerrickRemmert

My company just switched to a new employee payment program. It's call comcheck. Instead of getting a paycheck on payday you go to an ATM machine and withdraw your wages for a plastic card they issue you. You then take the cash and deposit it or spend it as you wish. You can also use the card as credit card at Maestro credit card vendors. Never heard of Maestro before. If you lose the card or it's stolen there is a 10 dollar replacement fee. You also get charged a 1.50 transaction fee if you withdraw from the account more than once per pay period. We have been told if we don't want to participate then we must quit or be fired. To get our pay stubs we must go into the companies computer system and print out our pay stubs. There are also these weird checks that comcheck provides where you can call an 800 number each pay day and enter in your pin number and your credit card number and the 15 digit check number. This will activate the check and you can then find out what your account balance is from your pay-stub or calling and 800 number and then write the amount of the card balance on the check and cash it.

I think this is complicated and a pain in the ass. I would much rather have direct deposit or a paycheck. My dad says the company is doing it to gather interest on my wages before I withdraw them. He says I should contact the labor board and see if I can file a complaint. Does anyone else work for a company that only pays you like this?

2. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

A friend off mine works for an employer that has a similar system in place, thought without as many restrictions. He hasn't had any problems with it. If it happened at my place of employment, I'd just deal with it and be grateful that I'm still employed, the job market being what it is.

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

How is this easier and cheaper for the company than Direct Deposit?
    Somebody in payroll must have a "brother in law..."[​IMG]

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Something VERY fishy is going on here. Maybe you're better off finding another job before a "glitch" in their system makes your pay magically dissapear -- possibly into a CEO's bank account. Hasn't Enron, WorldCom and AOL taught us anything?

7. DerrickRemmert

I could careless how bad the job market is, this payment thing is a hastle! Here's a link to comcheks website for anyone who is interested. I wonder how much these companies pay for this service?
    link

8. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

It's the frickin' Cash Counter of employee payment plans. I particularly like this on their website:
    "Best of all, employees aren't required to maintain a checking account."
    This might be a GREAT solution for pre-teens who deliver papers, but for an adult?!?! Who the f*ck doesn't have a checking account? Recently released inmates?

9. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

11. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

12. DerrickRemmert

13. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    This sounds unnecessarily complicated. I also don't like the idea of the fees. This isn't a convenient check card, that has fees from a bank. This card is basically your access to your payroll. If they charge per use, then you just got a pay cut. Forcing you to get paid only this way is nothing less than draconian. It ensures that this company makes a mint off of nickel and diming you.
    Look for another job before you quit this one, but get outta there! This is money you earned! They have no right to hold it for a $1.50 ransom, unless you let them.
    This is the DIVX of salary structures.[​IMG]

14. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

I've never heard of this system before. You actually have to withdraw your entire pay in cash?

> I'd tell them where they can stick their comcard, get fired then sue thier asses off for wrongful dismissal.

Lotsa luck with that one. You might want to talk to a lawyer about the feasibility of that idea. Where do you live?

If you're going to leave a job over something this minor, there will probably be something you hate more than this at the next job.

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If you are fired because they want you to take your pay in a nontraditional manner, there is easily grounds for wronful dismissal. This is harrassment.

16. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    There is a very easy way to find out if this is illegal. Simply call your state's Labor Department. If your state is like NY they have offices in most major cities. If they say it's not legal then you can file a complaint and the state will go after them.

17. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

18. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

19. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

What happens if your paycheck is more than the ATM's withdrawal limit?

20. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter