What's new

Are Cerwin-Vega speakers any good? (1 Viewer)

M

Member 384960

I'm looking at Cerwin-Vega's home floorstanding speakers. Many people say that they play loud, have a lot of bass, but produces unrefined sound overall. Are they really that bad?

Bic America has a lineup of floorstanding speakers called RtR which has similar looks to Cerwin-Vega's speakers. They both have large woofers with a red theme on them. So it may look like Bic made the RtR's to cater the people wanting loud bass, just like Cerwin-Vega's. Do the RtR's have a better sound quality than CV's?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm looking at Cerwin-Vega's home floorstanding speakers. Many people say that they play loud, have a lot of bass, but produces unrefined sound overall. Are they really that bad?

Bic America has a lineup of floorstanding speakers called RtR which has similar looks to Cerwin-Vega's speakers. They both have large woofers with a red theme on them. So it may look like Bic made the RtR's to cater the people wanting loud bass, just like Cerwin-Vega's. Do the RtR's have a better sound quality than CV's?

I currently only use Cerwin-Vega!s in my Home Theater. I personally like the sound a power-handling. AFIAK they are no longer in business ...

Last edited:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Listen to them and see what you think. Be sure to compare them to others in your price range and then decide. No one can tell you what you like.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I still see a lot of CV products available so I think that they are still in business.

As far as their sound quality goes. I think it depends on what you like and what series of speakers you get. The larger the speaker, drivers, and power you feed them the more bass you get. As far as them being unrefined, that kind of depends on what you are comparing them to? I'm sure they are not what most would consider Hi-Fi but they probably sound good compared to some. They do have a rep for being frat house speakers but that's just because they do well in larger environments and are still available with larger woofers. Most current tower designs have transitioned to multiple smaller drivers in favor of one larger bass driver.

I don't know about the RtR's compared to the CV's again it depends on which CV's you're putting them up against. It almost sounds like you're shopping on looks vs sound. Well I certain understand that to a certain degree I think you're focusing more on the wrong sense for a speaker purchase. Go out an listen to some. If you like the way they sound and look get them.

M

Member 384960

I still see a lot of CV products available so I think that they are still in business.

As far as their sound quality goes. I think it depends on what you like and what series of speakers you get. The larger the speaker, drivers, and power you feed them the more bass you get. As far as them being unrefined, that kind of depends on what you are comparing them to? I'm sure they are not what most would consider Hi-Fi but they probably sound good compared to some. They do have a rep for being frat house speakers but that's just because they do well in larger environments and are still available with larger woofers. Most current tower designs have transitioned to multiple smaller drivers in favor of one larger bass driver.

I don't know about the RtR's compared to the CV's again it depends on which CV's you're putting them up against. It almost sounds like you're shopping on looks vs sound. Well I certain understand that to a certain degree I think you're focusing more on the wrong sense for a speaker purchase. Go out an listen to some. If you like the way they sound and look get them.
Thanks for the info. I've read several reviews about CV's online and people generally say they make unaccurate sound(which is what I meant when I said unrefined). People did say they are great as party speakers since they have high sensitivity and can get pretty loud. I was just trying to see if they excel in home theater use. Then again, I would have to listen to them to get a final conclusion. You're also right in that most floorstanding speakers now use smaller woofers; most have woofers between 5.25" and 8". One benefit of the CV's and RtR's is you most likely won't need a subwoofer since they have large woofers.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
most will have woofers between 5.25" and 8". One benefit of the CV's and RtR's is you most likely won't need a subwoofer since they have large woofers.

Not really a benefit. Rarely is the best place for the sub the same as the best place for the mains. And, it takes a lot of power to produce good bass. Much more than you will get from your receiver.

Listen to them and decide. Reading reviews or looking at how cool they look is mostly a waste of time

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks