What's new

Are CD/DVD clubs worth it? (1 Viewer)

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if CD and DVD clubs, like Comumbia House, are actually worth the money? I belonged to CH when I was in high school, but now that I have to manage money a little better than I did then I was wondering if they are a rip off or not. There are so many CD's that I want to buy, and now that I have a DVD player and h/t setup I need to start building up my video collection. What's everyone's take on this?

Dan

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Hi ya Dan...

I join CH DVD club about every 6 months or so just to get some of the previously released DVDs deals. Actually, if you choose your free ones well and then buy the moderately priced ones as you membership requirements, you can end up with less than 10 bucks per DVD. There are usually some codes to use and DVDtalk.com is a good reference place. There is usually a thread under coupons and bargains that will list current codes for various deals.

So, Yes I do know the DVD club is a good place to start a collection. For he CD side of it, I haven't used CH since my CD usuage is minimal but I would assume that the overall cost would be pretty much less than retail.

Of course, I always look forward to getting those batch of free ones but just hate to pay for that extra two or three later!!!!

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
DVD's for under $10.00 and CD's for around $4.00 (shipped). In a word, YES they are worth it!

KyleS

Screenwriter
Absolutely no Question that they are worth it "If" (1) you get the best code out there getting you the most DVD's/Cd's at the best price. (2) You have to follow the rules :)
Make sure that your fulfillment titles are only the minimum price (say 19.99) and buy them both at the same time to minimize shipping.
KyleS

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I say No.

Columbia has CDs going for $17 that I can buy at Media Play or Best Buy for $12.

Their DVDs are overprices by $8-10 as well.

And then you add in shipping.

I recently got 3 Cds from them and the total came to over $60 after shipping.

You can find better deals on the Net.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I was a member of the BMG club, and it was OK, I guess. I have since cancelled the membership, and that was no problem. They also had a good return policy.

Just make sure that you calculate the shipping costs in everything, they really kill you there.

Like their offer of 11 CD's for the price of one (or something similar), basically you get 10 CD's right away for free, BUT they still charge you like $2.50 each for shipping. Then you have to buy one more full price CD (~$15), and $2.50 shipping for that. So the final price for each CD is like 4 dollars.

BMG also never have any new releases, and don't work with all record companies, so the selection is decent, but not great. But if you find CD's that you like you can get them there pretty cheap. Just remember to cancel the monthly selection every month.

As for DVD clubs, I imagine they work something similar, but I have no first hand experience of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks