Are Canadian release dates getting worse?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Gariepy, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Mike Gariepy

Mike Gariepy Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed in the past few months that every time I pop in to a retailer to look for the latest release, more times that not it's not available for sale in Canada yet. Even at on-line retailers like Amazon.ca and DVDBoxOffice, the release date for Canada seems to be a week or two after the US. When did this happen?

Examples that I've noticed just recently are:

Pulp Fiction - SE
    Jackie Brown - SE
    Teen Wolf/2
    Stargate SG-1 Season 2 - All Canadian sites and retailers claim Sep. 10th. US online show it as available now.
    And many others...

I'm afraid to speculate, but could it be due to the another trend I've noticed. More and more titles now have bilingual packaging. That alone will probably force me to purchase my discs from the US in the future. The back cover of titles like Van Wilder and Pulp Fiction are so crowded and small you have to break out the magnifier to read them. Heck, Pulp Fiction SE, besides the annoying translated front cover which ruins the pretty packaging IMO, has so much stuff crammed in the back that they had no room for the bar code. In Canada, it's stuck on as an afterthought to the underside of the case. Sigh.

2. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

To answer you question: YES. I totally agree with you, this has begun to happen more and more in the past few months that the Canadian release date is a week or two weeks later than the U.S. I buy almost all my DVDs from Canada and the bilingual packaging is really starting to piss me off. Got my Pulp Fiction SE today. And i must say while the bilingual cover is awful it's nothing compared to the horrible bilingual cover of LOTR.[​IMG]

3. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget:
    Best of the Muppets Volume 1 and 2
    It's really upsetting that the reason for some of these delays is the billingual covers.
    That's just wrong for so many reasons....[​IMG]

4. LeeL

LeeL Stunt Coordinator

On the bright side...

Without trying to finger any Canadian B&Ms who may be breaking street date, I've seen the Teen Wolf movies at two separate locations. We'll say that one of the locations is a large electronics outlet, the other is Canada's biggest music retailer.

Did I do good there, Ron?

Edit: I just re-read the thread, and seem to have believed that Teen Wolf(ves) were pushed back to Sept 10. This is not the case, so my point is now moot. FWIW, I seriously hate having two languages on the covers, as well...with some of the jobs being done on them, they look pretty bush.

5. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hi,

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The b&m's where I frequent always get their product at or before street so I cannot say I have noticed this problem.

7. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

Hmmm.

When I first got a DVD player back in '97, lots and lots of Miramax films didn't even get released in Canada and had to be (expensively) imported. Either that or it was months and months before Alliance got around to making their own editions, and that was just for the big titles.

Times ain't that bad fellas.

8. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about that....
    Ever since the onset of the billingual cover, there have been many more delays that I can think of.
    Of course, there are also many more releases now than a couple years ago..... [​IMG]