Are Canada DVD's Region 1 with same...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by barry, Sep 28, 2001.

1. barry

barry Agent

Are Canada DVD's Region 1 and the same ISBN and bar code as American DVD's?

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Barry,
    Some are and some are not. An example is Memento which is distributed by Alliance Atlantis up here and is a different disc with a different UPC. As is Spy Kids which is also an Alliance Atlantis release.
    But, most are the same.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. barry

barry Agent

If the Spy Kids disc is different, then does that mean that all the Disney ones are all different, like the animation ones?
    Thanks

4. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

There are no hard and fast rules unfortunately, but here are some trends.
    Just about everything from Dimension Home Video and Miramax is repackaged through Alliance Atlantis, but often contains the exact same disc, but not always.
    Some titles released by Universal will be picked up by Lions Gate Entertainment/Columbia Tristar in Canada, example, "Shadow Of The Vampire". Don't ask me why. Content is the same in that case.
    Quite a few Alliance Atlantis titles are not available in the U.S. at all, but don't mope. Not many of these exclusive titles are superior, or even equal to the U.S. release that may come later. Once in a while they have something special, but not often enough.
    Every now and then, titles like Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting , the Cdn. version is better, but they are few and far between.
    There is also a Canadian only distribution house called "Seville" that is putting out crappy, crappy quality, Pan & Scan + stereo versions of avant-garde or lesser known titles like "Kurt & Courtney", "I Shot Andy Warhol" and Margaret's Museum much to the chagrin of the Canadian populace. You may as well know about them, to avoid them. They are an embarassment. If their product ever improves, I promise to notify you. (I may never have to, they don't seem to care.) On the other hand, they are dirt cheap. But there won't be a single person on this forum who'll be able to stand the poor video quality.
    As for Disney (and its affiliates Touchstone, Buena Vista, and Hollywood Pictures), for the most part, the content is the same, but sometimes arranged differently. Because a French language track is an important feature for Canadian retailers, Disney will include a French track whereas the U.S. version might not, or perhaps French instead of Spanish. While "Toy Story" is one of the few examples that I can think of, I'm sure this might have occurred elsewhere. Disney titles tend to have a small Canadian flag on the backside of the packaging, but it's difficult for anyone to pinpoint what differences there may be.
    In short, the answer is "No", there are indeed some differences, and even with your ear to the ground, it's difficult to know precisely what those might be unless there's a public outcry or serious differences such as is the case with "Memento".
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net

5. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Well, I was going to post a big thing, but Kyle beat me to it, so I will second his comments.
    The ones I have come across are Buena Vista and Miramax repackaged under Alliance Atlantis, and Lionsgate/Columbia Tristar for Universal titles.
    One that is coming out that I am looking forward to is Ginger Snaps, a Canadian/Australian Indy film that will get better features from the Canadian release over the US release.