What's new

Are both satellite services capable of surviving? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
Or does anyone think that one will engulf the other?

It seems that there is plenty of market to go around, probably more than just two services can handle, but if you look back at the satellite mini dish revolution, there were plenty of services to choose from and now I believe only two remain.

I know XM has way more subscribers than Sirius and I have read an article on the shakey financial stability of Sirius so it just makes me wonder if the company I subscribed to is going to be around for a few years or fold?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

The difference there is, all the dish providers were working from the same pool of channels, so there is only so much you could be different from each other.

Both services have enough unique content that I think they can survive as seperate entities. Also, the philosophy they have with building their music playlists are very different.

A year or two ago, I wouldn't have though much of Sirius' viability, but they have taken some risks signing some big names, and it may work out for them. The fact that their playlists are more mainstream will also work out for them, since not everyone wants to go out on a limb to hear music they never heard of.

Course, not everyone agrees. This article in BusinessWeek is arguing that in fighting against each other, will hurt their chances at profitability, and they should merge. I don't think it is in the best interest of either to do that, tho.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...0776_tc119.htm

Jason

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Has always been a talk of a merge.

Not sure if that is a good thing. It would
create a monopoly. Plus, since I am a fan of
XM music, I wouldn't want Sirius touching
any of it.

Yes, Sirius is on VERY shaky ground. They spent
a fortune signing huge names to their service. Still,
there is the slight chance all of it will pay off for
them, despite the fact there are still stories floating
around that some of their staff members aren't getting
paid on time.

I think both will survive just fine. Satellite
radio is growing at a rapid pace and I think that
growth is going to continue for years to come.

I can't see how people still listen to traditional
radio anymore.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Because it is free. I have a coworker who is a big fan of O&A when they were on the air here, but doesn't think it is worth paying 12 bucks a month to hear them, when WJFK is still around.

Course, when only Don & Mike are left after this year, I wonder what he will think then? (Stern is leaving, sounds like Ron & Fez will be going to XM.)

Jason

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator

Most stations, yes. However, shortly after I got my XM receiver, one of our classic rock stations switched to the "Jack" format that's popping up in several cities, and I gotta say, based on listening to it in other peoples' cars, rental cars, etc, I like it a whole lot. Wide variety of music, short commercial breaks, no annoying DJ yakking. I'm definitely staying with my XM, but if I have to listen to terrestrial, that station's pretty darned good, and I think stations like it are a deliberate response to satellite in terms of limiting commercials and DJ prattle.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Funny thing about JACK in NYC area....

It's failing bad!

There was an oldies station, WCBS 101.1 that was
in existence for 30 years. It was a landmark oldies
station loved by many.

It was enjoying a 3.x share rating when it was
suddenly replaced by JACK.

People went nuts in this area. Their oldies
station was replaced and all the DJs fired (many
went to Sirius including Cousin Brucie).

Now that JACK station is enjoying a 1.X share.

I also hear JACK is not doing well in other markets
either.

Personally, I do like JACK. I think it's something
that wouyld have been more embraced on satellite radio.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator

The jury may still be out. There was an article in the LA Times a couplea days ago about the format, and the NYC station's defenders are claiming the last ratiings book measured the transition period between the old and new formats, and that they expect their ratings to be crazy good next time.
Could be BS, could be true. Remains to be seen...

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I am a sales rep that spends about 3 hours a day in my car. I have an Ipod that I used all the time. My wife bought me XM for Xmass and I am hooked. Sports, O & A, and of course the music, uninterrupted and without interference as I travel city to city. I have spread the word to others who are now just as addicted as I. I think and hope it will survive. I had a rental car with Sirius weeks ago and still prefer XM.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
O&A Party Rock! :)

Seriously (huddla huddla) I love XM - I have a friend who loves Sirius (strangely, he bought it after hearing how awesome my XM was... I don't know, maybe he's a Stern fan?)

It sounds like Ron and Fez will be coming to XM in September, and the Radio Chick is on Sirius. Looks like Satellite Radio is THE place for Hot Talk now, no more 102.7

I think both services can and will survive independant, as long as they keep the offerings fresh. I love commercial free music, and light commercials in talk.

I could never go back to FM again. Oldies, O&A, traffic for every city imaginable (I found out about a flight delay for my brother flying out of Boston. AWESOME!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks