Are B&w In-wall Speakers Any Good?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by michael*b, Apr 1, 2004.

1. michael*b

michael*b Auditioning

I am installing a new 5.1 system. I have a Sony STR DA3000ES Receiver, Sony 2200ES SACD Changer and the DVP725 DVD player.

My room (and wife) requires in-wall speakers for fronts and in ceiling for rear. The center will be inside our new custom entertainment center as will the sub on the floor of the EC (no bottom in cabinet, will sit on actual floor) in the lower right.

We will be watching DVD's and listening to music about 60/40.

I am considering the B&W CWM650 (6.5) for the fronts and the CCM65 (6.5) for the surrounds. The center will be the LCR60S3 and the Sub the ASW600.

I really like the center and sub but not quite sure on the fronts. The ceilings sounded better to me.

Do I need to put foam or insulation behind the speakers?

Will any OFC 12-14 ga. work? I'm not a brand name type and really don't want to pay for a company's ad budget.

What about sub cables, are the Blue Jeans Cables on this site good?

Advice and recommendations are appreciated!

Michael

2. Tim Willis

Tim Willis Auditioning

I am using 4 B&W CWM 200's in-wall speakers and they are about the cheapest ones in that size that B&W sells. They sound wonderful and much better than I was expecting. They did not require insulation and in fact you just cut the hole and they they have little wings that tight them down very easy to install! I used 14 ga wire for them. I have two HT setups with diferent B&W's (2-802's 1- HTM1 and four 705's) and as I love the sound but I do not like their subs very much. I have a SVS 20-39PCI which is not very expensive but performs much better than the B&W sub.IMHO

Hope this info helps