Are B&K amps any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RajeeK, Mar 28, 2002.

1. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

I was thinking of adding a B&K 7270 (7 channel @ 200WPCx7) channel amp to my Pioneer VSX-49TX. I really havn't heard much discussion about B&K amps here, I know Rotel, Acrus, Parasound are well liked. Are the B&K's any good? Any comments or recommendations. Thanks.

I have a change to get a new B&K 7270 from an authorized dealer for $2300...good price or not?

2. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

B&K make very good amplifiers. High quality and great sounding. To me imho, they are a step above acurus, rotel and parasound. I would recommend them to anyone.[​IMG]

3. Christian Speights

Christian Speights Stunt Coordinator

Plus, you won't have to wait for B&K to get around to upgrading them.

4. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

RajeeK,

I used to own a B&K reference amp(2220, basically the 2 channel version of the 7270.

I found it to a high quality amp. I dont agree with Dave that its a better amp than Acurus, Parasound and Rotel. I think it does sound different. I currently own a Acurus A250 and love its sound. The Acurus seems to drive the lower end a little more aggresivly imho.

The best advice I can give you is try to find a dealer that will let you demo some amps at home and then buy the one which you like, not what other people like.

Earle

5. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

I have a change to get a new B&K 7270 from an authorized dealer for $2300...good price or not?

More suggestions about the B&K itself much appreciated.

6. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

RajeeK:

7. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

8. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

B&K amps have a very smooth sound, and accentuate bass fairly well. If they have a shortcoming, it is that their smoothness can make the midrange a bit laid back. The warranty them well, and you can transfer the warranty if you sell them. $2300 is a pretty good price for the 7 channel version.

9. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

B&K makes very good amplifiers. I wouldn't say they are better than or worse than Acurus, Parasound or Rotel, but only that they sound different. If you have bright speakers or prefer a warmer sound, B&K is the amp for you. Good build quality too, as they're made the U.S. unlike NAD, Rotel, Sherbourne, and some of the Parasounds.

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hate to disagree with Justin but B&K has a nasty reputation for hum and/or hiss. This can be either mechanical buzzing of the transformers or electrical noise, or both. I haven't heard as much bad news about the most recent B&K gear so they probably cleaned up their act some.

Currently, most complaints are about the pre/pros that were promised to be upgradeable and then B&K never delivered.

I would definitely not buy a B&K amp without return privileges. A noisy amp is a real pain.

11. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I haven't heard about any humming problems with B&K amps. A friend of mine has had a 5x200 B&K in his HT system for about two years, and he hasn't had any problems. If their are problems, however, the 5 year warranty should make up for that.

12. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

I agree, I haven't heard any noisy B&K amps.

13. Harold Leroy

Harold Leroy Stunt Coordinator

I've had B&K for a couple years--no humming!!

14. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

15. J.C. Hall

J.C. Hall Extra

I just recently got my 49tx. I love it. A few days later I had the oppotunity to get this amp for a good price from a friend. To be blunt this is the best sounding combo I have heard to date under 10K. Now I know that me saying this is going to bring out the "well you like it so much because you bought it" crowd. Let me say this to them. I have owned in order:
    Yamaha DSP-A1
    B&K Ref 20 and AV5000 amp
    Denon AVR-5700
    Lexicon MC-1 and Anthem MCA5 amp
    Onkyo 989
    Denon AVR-5800
    So noone can say I haven't tried other pieces. I say get the amp. It will make an already incredible receiver that much better. I hope I helped in your decision.
    J.C. Hall
    [email protected]

16. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Thanks all. Ya looks like a good amp to pair with my 49TX. I am also considering the Outlaw 770, mainly because the price is about $500 cheaper. I may wait a while until some reviews come out on the 770 so I can get a better feel for what people think of that amp.

17. Gifford L

Gifford L Agent

I've had several B&K amps and have never heard a noisy one. Also every B&K preamp dating back to 1986 has been and is upgradeable to the current THX EX ref 30 standards. No other company has upgraded that far back. There have also been smaller upgrades in the past like adding RS232 to the ref 20 etc. The bottom line is that B&K takes their time to do it but they do upgrade.

18. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Rajee, where are you getting the 7270 for $2300. I would like to buy that sometime down the road.

19. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Actually it is one of my patients (I'm his primary care physician) who can order it for me. He said he would do me a favor and get it near cost.

I must admit though. I am still really torn over the 770. It looks like such a nice unit and to save $500 is always nice. What would you all do????

20. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

DAMN!!! Rajee you'r lucky. Then on other thoughts with you being a physician it really doesnt matter anyways, a grand here or a grand there you wouldn't know the difference[​IMG]