What's new

Are B&K amps any good? (1 Viewer)

RajeeK

Second Unit
I was thinking of adding a B&K 7270 (7 channel @ 200WPCx7) channel amp to my Pioneer VSX-49TX. I really havn't heard much discussion about B&K amps here, I know Rotel, Acrus, Parasound are well liked. Are the B&K's any good? Any comments or recommendations. Thanks.

I have a change to get a new B&K 7270 from an authorized dealer for $2300...good price or not?

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
B&K make very good amplifiers. High quality and great sounding. To me imho, they are a step above acurus, rotel and parasound. I would recommend them to anyone.:)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
RajeeK,

I used to own a B&K reference amp(2220, basically the 2 channel version of the 7270.

I found it to a high quality amp. I dont agree with Dave that its a better amp than Acurus, Parasound and Rotel. I think it does sound different. I currently own a Acurus A250 and love its sound. The Acurus seems to drive the lower end a little more aggresivly imho.

The best advice I can give you is try to find a dealer that will let you demo some amps at home and then buy the one which you like, not what other people like.

Earle

RajeeK

Second Unit
I have a change to get a new B&K 7270 from an authorized dealer for $2300...good price or not?

More suggestions about the B&K itself much appreciated.

RajeeK

Second Unit
When you say "good," do you mean reliable, or pleasant-sounding (or both)? If you're inquiring about their sound, only you can be the judge of that.
Ya, I know I am the final judge if I am satisfied with their sound. I am just trying to get others opinions on what their experiences are with B&K and if they are regarded as good, reliable amps among "audiophiles."

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
B&K amps have a very smooth sound, and accentuate bass fairly well. If they have a shortcoming, it is that their smoothness can make the midrange a bit laid back. The warranty them well, and you can transfer the warranty if you sell them. $2300 is a pretty good price for the 7 channel version.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
B&K makes very good amplifiers. I wouldn't say they are better than or worse than Acurus, Parasound or Rotel, but only that they sound different. If you have bright speakers or prefer a warmer sound, B&K is the amp for you. Good build quality too, as they're made the U.S. unlike NAD, Rotel, Sherbourne, and some of the Parasounds.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hate to disagree with Justin but B&K has a nasty reputation for hum and/or hiss. This can be either mechanical buzzing of the transformers or electrical noise, or both. I haven't heard as much bad news about the most recent B&K gear so they probably cleaned up their act some.

Currently, most complaints are about the pre/pros that were promised to be upgradeable and then B&K never delivered.

I would definitely not buy a B&K amp without return privileges. A noisy amp is a real pain.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I haven't heard about any humming problems with B&K amps. A friend of mine has had a 5x200 B&K in his HT system for about two years, and he hasn't had any problems. If their are problems, however, the 5 year warranty should make up for that.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Currently, most complaints are about the pre/pros that were promised to be upgradeable and then B&K never delivered.
This is incorrect they have on the Ref 20 last fall 2001

Now if we are speaking of DPL-II,

Give it some time, How many others have upgrades to date?

They will have a complete update, I would rather wait

for a few extra's, then just get DPL-II.

With the video market going towards DVI, This just

maybe better to wait now. I would rather see DVI over the

firewire option now. At this time I do not even need DPL-II, So what upgrades do the B&K Ref 30 users need right now?

What about the delays with the Outlaw,and many others?

These are new units, not the more difficult retrofit upgrades like the Ref 30 / Denon 5800.

I will also add, Not many Pre-Pro's give the user the control and interface that the B&K does.

J.C. Hall

Grip
I just recently got my 49tx. I love it. A few days later I had the oppotunity to get this amp for a good price from a friend. To be blunt this is the best sounding combo I have heard to date under 10K. Now I know that me saying this is going to bring out the "well you like it so much because you bought it" crowd. Let me say this to them. I have owned in order:
Yamaha DSP-A1
B&K Ref 20 and AV5000 amp
Denon AVR-5700
Lexicon MC-1 and Anthem MCA5 amp
Onkyo 989
Denon AVR-5800
So noone can say I haven't tried other pieces. I say get the amp. It will make an already incredible receiver that much better. I hope I helped in your decision.
J.C. Hall
[email protected]

RajeeK

Second Unit
Thanks all. Ya looks like a good amp to pair with my 49TX. I am also considering the Outlaw 770, mainly because the price is about $500 cheaper. I may wait a while until some reviews come out on the 770 so I can get a better feel for what people think of that amp.

Gifford L

Agent
I've had several B&K amps and have never heard a noisy one. Also every B&K preamp dating back to 1986 has been and is upgradeable to the current THX EX ref 30 standards. No other company has upgraded that far back. There have also been smaller upgrades in the past like adding RS232 to the ref 20 etc. The bottom line is that B&K takes their time to do it but they do upgrade.

RajeeK

Second Unit
Actually it is one of my patients (I'm his primary care physician) who can order it for me. He said he would do me a favor and get it near cost.

I must admit though. I am still really torn over the 770. It looks like such a nice unit and to save $500 is always nice. What would you all do????

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
DAMN!!! Rajee you'r lucky. Then on other thoughts with you being a physician it really doesnt matter anyways, a grand here or a grand there you wouldn't know the difference:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks