Are average movies getting longer & longer?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Norm, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Its starting to turn me off, making trips to the theater. Does Pirates & Tomb Raider really need to be over two hours long. I would rather rent them because their running times are over 2 hours. I don't mind sitting over two hours for a great flick, but sitting over two hours for a popcorn flick just doesn't motivate me to go the theater, and sit in what may turn out to be snooze material.

2. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Tomb Raider 2 was like 110min. thats under to hours... [​IMG]

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'm usually concerned more with seeing the film than sitting for x amount of time to watch it. Regardless...if you feel the running time is too long, and the film "doesn't motivate" you to go to the theater...why do you go anyway?

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Yeah, everything is too big. Movies and cds too long. Sofas too fat. People gettin obese on huge burgers. SUVs that look like friggin Armored Personnel Carriers.

[​IMG]

5. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Family! I don't always want to see everything!

6. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

Are average movies getting longer & longer?

Yup.

7. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    It's one of those cyclical things. Somone must have heard you - look at Kill Bill. Instead of one 3 hr movie now you are going to get two 90 minute movies. 'course now you have to make 2 trips to the theater instead of one.

Which scenario do you like better?

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Most of my favorite films are considered long movies.

Id rather a film take the time needed to tell the story.

The Kill Bill fiasco is just crazy.

No reason why a 3 hour movie should be split into 2 except for $$$$.

Love that Di$ney company man.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

10. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Remember the good old days when we could zip in and out of the theater when seeing Ben-Hur, 2001, Cleopatra, Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia, Once Upon a Time in the West, Rosemary's Baby, Cool Hand Luke, GBUgly, 7 Samurai, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf...

Billy Wilder films almost all ran at 125 minutes or so, despite being mostly comedies.

Birth of a Nation ran at 3+ hours.

We still get plenty of films running between 90-110 minutes, and films running longer than 120 minutes have always been common. T3 and Charlies Angels 2 are two popcorn flicks that come to mind from this year which run around 105 minutes as an example.

I would bet that if you were to average the running times of the top 50 BO films from each year you would see very little in the way of running time trends.

13. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I agree Comic Book movies could be 4 hours, considering 40 years of material.

Running Time is a factor when I go now, depending what type of movie I consider seeing.

Tomb Raider was listed at my theater as 2 hours 10 mins.

14. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Well its only like 110min...

15. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

The way I look at it is, you are getting a better return on you cash.

I refuse to go to movies that are 90min or less, it just is not worth it. Would you rather spend $8 to get 90mins of entertainment, or 120min+ ???? What is the better deal? If the film is good who cares if it is 3hrs. LOTR - Two Towers felt like it was over in 90mins, the 3 hrs flew by. And most movies do if you are enjoying the content. If you aren't, then why is your ass in the theater? I am really starting to get tired of how peoples lack of attention span is starting to dictate entertainment. I am seeing this alot more in the Video game industry right now. Games that take 7 - 8 hrs to finish. And the game companies say that people are crying out for short games so they feel like they are accomplishing something, and are having a hard time keeping interest for longer than that. Well too damn bad. We have become a I want it now, in as little time as possible world. It is the same people that think movies are too long, that are pissed when they have to wait 2 minutes to get to the bank teller, or wait 30 SECONDS! to heat up there burrito in the microwave. Anyway I digress.

My point is, if the movies are getting longer, great, we are the ones winning in the deal. If you don't like it, don't go, or suck it up and deal.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It's not a matter of how long, but what you do with what you got.

17. david stark

david stark Second Unit

For me it's all a matter of quality. I saw tomb raider (rented it on dvd) and it was absolute *****. I've seen the trailers for tomb raider 2 and I don't care if it is 5 minutes 110 minutes or 500 minutes, I'm not going to see it becasue it looks like ***** as well and a waste of time.

I can see why studio exec's like short films, if it's a poor 90 film it will get better reviews than a poor film thats 120 min. If it's poor and ends after 90 you may like it, but if it drags on for another 30 minutes you will hate it. I thought that joan of arc in particlar dragged far too much. They could have cut almost an hour of that film with no loss to the story and it would have made the film so much better.

18. Bill J

Bill J Producer

19. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Well I saw TR, and was hoping for the best, but it was just an average popcorn flick.

Family dragged me there.

20. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Ironically, I generally look at the running time. If there is a movie that I am guessing is very formulaic, I check out the running time. Anything hovering at around 90-100 minutes strengthens my suspicion that it is a typical formulaic movie.