Are Athena's considered bright?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Willy_P, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Willy_P

Willy_P Extra

want some brighter sounding speakers to go with my HK 525. was looking at Aperion and Axiom, but Athena's get some good press and they can ba had for about $100 bucks less. thanks.

2. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

My Athena's are what I consider bright. I think they are the AS-2's. They are very full sounding but have more presence than other speakers I've had. Hope this helps.

3. Daniel_AVR

Daniel_AVR Extra

Willy,

I own myself a HK AVR525 and I put some AS-B1 as surrounds and they match pretty well with the HK, not too bright or not too smooth. I've read many times that Athenas didn't match very well with Yamaha receivers but are ok with HK, and I second that affirmation (on HK vs Athena). AS-B1 sets new standards on low cost small bookshelf according to some reviewer. We're not talking here about very high definition speakers but about some very honest performance low cost units.

But the center (AS-C1) is a bit bright to my taste, It's a bit weird as they use the very save drivers and tweeter but it's the way it sounds here....

Athena recommend 100 hours break-in time....we'll see later if the center smooth out.

but Chris, your post isn't very precise on model no., AS-1 doesn't exist, are you talking about AS-F1 or AS-B1?

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

i found them to be more neutral but a little on the bright side, not as bright as klipsch with the horn tweeters though.

5. Willy_P

Willy_P Extra

thanks for the advice. I just listened to the b1, b2, and c1 at BB and they sound good, but are not bright enough for me right now...I'm a little wary of not getting bright enough speakers because my center right now is too warm and it's driving me nuts.

6. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I have never been sure what is meant by the terms, bright, warm,etc in reference to speakers. could someone please explain?

7. Daniel_AVR

Daniel_AVR Extra

too bright or not too bright....that's the question...

It's relative to each and every listener.....

Some may find Kplish way too bright, other swear by them....

Do your own listening with the music you normally listen at your usual listening level, as a rule of thumb, if you find them a bit annoying after 5-10 min...they're possibly too bright for you. You'll not like them in the long run.

Make your own decision, listen as many speakers as you can (with the same amp if possible), compare yourself with your own taste, don't follow advice blindly.

Dan

8. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Hey Jonathan. As I understand it, think of "bright" as a speaker (or receiver) that sounds as if the treble has been turned way up. Warm on the other hand sounds if the treble has been turned down a bit. Yamaha and Klipch speakers seem to be on the bright side. Athena as well, it seems. Thats why they seem to work well with "warm" receivers such as H/K and Marantz. Yamaha receivers seem to be bright so you may not want to match them up with bright speakers. This would result in a very harsh sound. Of course people hear the same things differently, so "bright" to me may seem just right to someone else. To make a short story long, it has to do with the sound pressure and frequency response of the tweeter. Bright equipment = more tweeter, Warm = more mid-range, less tweeter. Gene

9. Jonathan Dagmar

i see. does anyone have any knowledge, or educated guess at weather the new all digital recievers, specifically the Panasonic xr25, which is what I have. I have heard very good things about this "budget" reciever from some ridiculously hardcore audiophiles online, so I am curious.

Currently I have a cheap set of Yamaha sattelites hooked to my reciever, which are a stepp above the plastic cubes that come with HTIAB, but still not very good. I was planing to begin replacing them with various Athena Audition series speakers, so i am intersted in knowing.

One other question I have is whether it is worthwile to get floor standers for the mains, or go with bookshelves all around. I have a suspicion that the sound will be nearly identical either way once the sub is factored in, but I don't know for sure.

I may end up going for towers just for the looks.

10. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

Anybody know how much the AS-F2's cost when they first came out?

11. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I have auditioned the AS-B1's in my home. I would not consider them bright. Flat, yes, but definitely not bright.

Have a look at the frequency response:
    http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...s/athena_asb1/

You can see that by listening to the speakers slightly off-axis (minimal toe-in), it would be somewhat difficult to classify them as bright speakers, especially with the midrange hump.

12. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

How easy is it to get aroudn in the menu's of that XR25? I'm thinking of getting one in a week and pairing it with some RTi38s and a dayton 10" sub.

13. Jonathan Dagmar

its not all that hard to get around in the menus, just somewhat inconvenient. The good thing is you probably wont have to go in there more than once or twice.

14. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I own the AS-B2s for mains and just purchased (last night) the AS-C1 center.
    I've been extremely happy with the b2s. I found that NOT toeing them in at all is the best way to listen to them, for me. Otherwise the highs seem a bit to direct. When I put them perpendicular the soundstage opened up (especially when mated with the center) and the sound warmed up just a shade.
    I am using a Denon amp, which from what I understand, is a slightly warm amp. Although I cannot tell from experience, I have not had enough speakers hooked up to it to determine, as it's fairly new also. YMMV.

15. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Willy

If you do decide to go with the Aperions. Let me know. I just bought a HK AVR 225 with the intention of eventually going with all Aperions.
    Right now I have a mis-mash of KLH towers(FL-FR) Fisher(C) and DBX (SL-SR) with an AIWA powered sub.

Anyone want to buy some speakers? [​IMG]