Are any of the old serials out on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Brown, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Anyone know of a source for the old serials like Commander Cody, or Flash Gordon, etc... of the 40's and 50's? I'd like to start picking some up.
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Flash Gordon goes back to the 1930s.

I've always wanted the original fifteen-chapter Batman serial from 1943 (Robert Lewis is the Caped Crusader in this first film appearance of the character).

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Jack, ditto, plus the other Batman serial from a couple years later.

4. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

There is a website, Serial Sqaudron completely devoted to cataloging & discussing old movie serials. They have a very extensive list of serials available on DVD & VHS (most of these are available on the VCI, Image, and Delta labels).

5. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    I have Radar Men from the Moon, a 12 chapter Commando Cody serial.

I purchased it from DVD Express in 2000.

6. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Well, several of the old serials are avaliable on DVD. Here is a short list:

Buck Rogers
    Dick Tracy
    Jungle Girl
    The Phantom
    Undersea Kingdom

These can be purchase from Amazon.com (these can also be purchased from other DVD sellers also).

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The official Flash Gordon DVDs released by Hearst Entertainment, through Image Entertainment are the ones to look for.

I only have Space Soliders, but "Trip To Mars" and "Conquers The Universe" should be just as good DVD-wise. The serials have been reconstructed from 16mm to possibly the original negatives. While many intros and other misc. shots are a little damaged, the bulk is from some extremely nice film material. The audio is surprisingy excellent in fidelity. No extras other than an interesting essay on the serial in the cover.

While the VCI discs have more supplements, the video/audio quality probably isn't as the restored Hearst masters.

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

There are actually a surprising number of serials on DVD. There are the 3 classic Flash Gordon ones on Image (be careful, though since Image also released the edited-down-into-a-single-movie versions), and the first one was also released by VCI with interviews with Buster Crabbe (though reportedly the video quality is not as good, I haven't compared them). Buck Rogers is also out on DVD.

Roan Group (now owned by Troma) released the 1933 The Three Musketeers, a Western with John Wayne and Lon Chaney Jr, which is a lot of fun. They also did Radar Men of the Moon, which is a crazy exercise in camp.

The Phantom Creeps with Bela Lugosi is out also, and I think I heard that the Chandu serial where he plays the villain Roxor is being or has been released, but I don't have that one. There are more, but you get the idea.

9. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    How about King Of The Rocketmen? I remember renting this on tape a few times years ago from a Blockbluster. This serial BLEW MY MIND! I'd kill for it on DVD!

According to the site above, I can't even get this on VHS!!

DAMN THIS FORUM!! I havn't thought of King of the Rocket Men for 10 years! NOW I MUST HAVE IT!!

10. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

The serial web-site was very helpful. I've been gaining an appreciation for these old films lately. Especially after meeting Bob Burns at Monster Bash 2002.
    Todd

11. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

VCI also released Drums of Fu Manchu last month.

12. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    All 3 of the "Commando Cody's" were released on laser disc. I have all the serials that were released on laser but only have "The Phantom" on DVD.

There were many that were released on VHS that never made it to laser.

I bet we'll never see hardly any more serials on DVD, not enough people want them.[​IMG]

13. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

14. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Brian, the Serial squadron site is PURE EVIL! It's heartbreaking to find so many of my favorites out of print!

Here are my votes for Batman (both series) and King of the Rocketmen!

HAs anyone ordered the in house manufactured DVD, DVD-R from The Squadron? Just wondering about quality. I am very intriqued about the "Captain America" they are producing.

I have to go watch "Captain Marvel" now (on econo vhs, found in a bin at zellers for 5 bucks, 4 year ago, and my the only serial I own!)

16. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    "Capt. Marvel" on laser is a beautiful print...

The reason I didn't get "Radar Men of the Moon" on DVD(the Roan and other prints), was because they all had different running times than the laser put out by the company that made the serial...Republic!

Even "The Phantom" serial looked like crap on DVD. Some scenes were so dark you could only see his black shape.

Oh well, sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you!